Exhaust Vent : ok if located at bottom of laptop?

kc.nutrition.1

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Hi,

I hope you are well.

We are considering buying an Asus Vivobook Pro N580D-DB74T (15.6 inch screen). The youtube video below shows the bottom of the laptop (pause at 0:56). Note that the youtube video seems not exactly the same as the model line I gave you, but I will accept this assumption because I am not sure where to get a clear photo of the bottom of the laptop I want. This assumption seems reasonable in this case (I hope), we can verify that the vent configuration is the same on the model before buying. In case you were wondering, this is the laptop we want at the US Asus Store (included for getting the official specs from Asus).
That's the one we reserved at Canada Computer Store (click hyperlink).

Link to the video (go to 0:56)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ATi2oFd0Zk

I don't know what exactly is each of these vents : which is the exhauts and which is the intake? Do you know where I can get this technical information about this?

What is better? I am worried that the hot air will be expelled from the bottom and damage the laptop in the long term, via the experiencing of overheating and automatic shutdown. If I have to analyse logically (my guess), it seems hot air expelled from the side or from the back of a laptop is better.

Thank you for your help.

Side note : Kindly accompany reference with your answer. If it is your opinion, please explain as much as possible your reasoning. Expert's opinion are appreciated (please cite your background and experience briefly).

Solution
We went to the store at Canada Computer. With the sales agent, we used CPU-Z to test the CPU (loaded at 100%) and saw how the temperature rises. The temperature was about 85 degree for the vivobook (plateau/peak). The Asus Rog 503 did better at about 75 or bit less. We thought that this would test the laptop capacity to dissipate heat. Both laptop had similar CPUs. The sales agent advised us that the risk of dust buildup and overheating with the more compact laptop (vivobook) is higher. It seems it's better to go with the rog because we don't want to run into the overheating problem only few years down the road. Of course we are not expert in benchmark, but with the little tools we have, we decided to walk with the results we got. We...

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Something like this might help.
It's the first one I found just for the photo. I am not recommending this specific model.
$12
71ZQPsb0d6L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooler-Cooling-Chilling-Gaming/dp/B00PMCQCZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516244527&sr=8-3&keywords=laptop+fan+tray

kc.nutrition.1

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
webworkings:

thanks for your reply. yes i did a typo, it is VD. i was happy to see it is as dual fan. however, being it 1 or 2 fans, i still wonder about the efficiency of the exhaust mechanism as described in my question. i'll quote myself again:

What is better? I am worried that the hot air will be expelled from the bottom and damage the laptop in the long term, via the experiencing of overheating and automatic shutdown. If I have to analyse logically (my guess), it seems hot air expelled from the side or from the back of a laptop is better.

before answering this question, i have to know this too :

quoting myself again
I don't know what exactly is each of these vents : which is the exhauts and which is the intake? Do you know where I can get this technical information about this?

JoeMomma :

thanks for your reply. this is an interesting solution. we are looking for a laptop that will have good cooling system even when not placed on a air cooler like the photo you attached, surely we'll keep it in mind as it seems like a good idea to invest in.

kc.nutrition.1

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
We went to the store at Canada Computer. With the sales agent, we used CPU-Z to test the CPU (loaded at 100%) and saw how the temperature rises. The temperature was about 85 degree for the vivobook (plateau/peak). The Asus Rog 503 did better at about 75 or bit less. We thought that this would test the laptop capacity to dissipate heat. Both laptop had similar CPUs. The sales agent advised us that the risk of dust buildup and overheating with the more compact laptop (vivobook) is higher. It seems it's better to go with the rog because we don't want to run into the overheating problem only few years down the road. Of course we are not expert in benchmark, but with the little tools we have, we decided to walk with the results we got. We will buy this one tomorrow : ASUS ROG GL503VM-DB74

Note : i tried the benchmark test on my dell inspiron laptop (2nd generation i5) and the temperature was stuck at lower temperature then the rog, so i am not sure why this happened as i was expecting higher temperature as the rog seems to be a better quality laptop. so this is why i am not yet sure if this benchmark is reliable.

Also, we note that the rog laptop has fan exhaust from the back, which we think is good. Honnestly, I forgot to look at its bottom to compare with the vivobook, something we can do before buying.

Solution