Exreamly tactical laptop cooling.

G

As the title says, i will be doing an extreamly tactical no compromises, no maybe, no it might. Just this will.

I will be cooling..... My dell laptop.... (Dun dun DUN!!!!)

Apearantly its possible to overclock my laptop. So i tried and i falied due to one bottle neck. HEAT. I put 8 GB of ram in my puppy (i can now record at 30 fps on cs go), upgraded the thermal compound, even put a 200 mm fan laptop cooler under my laptop. Even put a exahast fan at the side (removed it cus it actually did more harm than good.) now i have turned to the fabulous help of the most actve support forum. Yes. toms hardware, which turns pc enthusiast's software to HardWare. Jokes aside (keep them comming tho) how do i do a extreamly tactical cooling? Anyone who can give me the best answer will recive my thanks, and i will dub thee "the dude who answered my post".

Solution
Well of course it's not going to be a custom fit. Here's another one for a PRECISION T7500 that looks a lot more bendable because all of the heatpipes are in a straight line:
U402F_1.jpg

Look at how much room there is on that pedestal to drill holes in the right places, then you can grind off the rest that you don't need. That's how I mount heatsinks to GPUs.

For something smaller and easier to work with, I suggest looking at chipset coolers, which usually have only one heatpipe so are a lot easier to bend where you need to. You'd still have to figure out a mounting method though.

The Dell Vostro 3300 actually looks like it has the CPU mounted facing the bottom so you could put as tall...
G

*tactical

As in no 'it mights, it should be" just "it WILL work"
Aka any type of cooling, its just that i hope its not a "maybe it might work"

nzalog

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
lol sorry, in my defense I just came from a thread about mechanical keyboards.

I've done some crazy stuff to laptops like took off the bottom and had an oversized heatsink glued (thermal epoxy) to the undersize of the existing cooler.

This worked great but I didn't care about the laptop, was mainly using it like a server.

I think you could possibly find some low profile heatsinks and find places on the heatpipes where you could add them. This is probably the best you can do with totally recreating the cooling system with your own custom heatpipes.

G

I was thinking, open laptop, like the bottom COMPLETELY gone, or something, but not as extream as custom watter loops.

G

My current situaion: an i5 arrandale U cpu with a 2.7 base clock, and up to 3.1 NoRMAL oc, but i heard i can reach 3.3. But i will be getting a new pc (if i pass my exam) so.... Yea.

nzalog

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Yeah there is no reason why that would not work.

One thing to think about is how you'd attach them. On one hand you could use double sided thermal tape but there is no guarantee it would stay (especially on something mobile). Thermal epoxy with would probably tear apart the heatpipe if you tried to remove it, so if you go this route you gotta be pretty confident you're not making a mistake.

But yeah putting heatsinks all over the stock heatpipe would probably help a bit with cool since usually the stock coolers are pretty tiny anyways.

G

I cant go mobile with my laptop because my batterie is dead, plus i dont go mobile, plus my latop is useless going mobile. Anyways, i was thinking, if just puting a hole in my laptop woul work.

nzalog

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Honestly doubt a hole would help much. By leaving it how it is the air is sucked in all over the laptop and flows over the components (including heatpipe) picking up heat before it gets pushed out. By making extra holes you kind of interfere with that design. I guess this all depends on how well the laptop is designed but overall I doubt it's worthwhile.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016

Sure, if the CPU is close enough to the edge you could even use a tower heatsink:
$_57.JPG

Tactical cooling means an electric leafblower. I suggest a Toro as those come in tactical black.

G

How bout a hole directly under my fan?

G

"The dude who solved my question" where do i get one of those, and what ARE those even called?

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
That's a FVT7F heatsink for a Dell PowerEdge R920 or R930. I see all kinds of weird heatsinks like this at my local electronics recycling place for just a few bucks. I use the heatpipe ones with remotely mounted fins on GPUs (can even run the heatsink outside of the case) to convert them into single-slot on the cheap without having to go to watercooling.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Well of course it's not going to be a custom fit. Here's another one for a PRECISION T7500 that looks a lot more bendable because all of the heatpipes are in a straight line:
U402F_1.jpg

Look at how much room there is on that pedestal to drill holes in the right places, then you can grind off the rest that you don't need. That's how I mount heatsinks to GPUs.

For something smaller and easier to work with, I suggest looking at chipset coolers, which usually have only one heatpipe so are a lot easier to bend where you need to. You'd still have to figure out a mounting method though.

The Dell Vostro 3300 actually looks like it has the CPU mounted facing the bottom so you could put as tall a heatsink as you like on it and it wouldn't interfere with anything but the table it's on.

Solution