Facebook Giving Away McAfee to Protect Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now that's a real laugh!

If they had lots of control over the security measures (or lack of) as they say they do, then they wouldn't have all the problems they currently have with all the worms and other infections which are constantly targeting FaceBook and FaceBook users.

Fix the security holes which let the parasites through and then you'll truly be able to say that you have lots of control of the security measures on FaceBook.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I agree McAfee is much like a virus. Last time I had it installed, I had to wait for it to refresh my desktop icons in order to use my pc many times. It is annoying malware. Also I am asusming it is free at most places because it basically does nothing to protect your PC from virii. We have had outbreaks of virii at work and I installed the full suite... it did nothing at all to help. SEP works better but isn't perfect.

If mcafee would actually update their product and make it useful then it'd be pretty decent to use.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
6 months of McAfee is not equal to giving away.
Title should say "Facebook offers free 6 month McAfee trial"

Also, McAfee sucks.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Microsoft is giving away free Microsoft Security Essentials to protect users - and it's not a 6 month scam! AVOID McAfee and Norton! Even their new incarnations are worse than the viruses they don't even protect you from.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]...Also I am asusming it is free at most places because it basically does nothing to protect your PC from virii.[/citation]
Dude the plural of virus is not 'varii', it's viruses. You must be a very pretentious individual.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I love how nobody has a positive comment about McAfee, won't get one from me either. This is purely a marketing ploy. If Facebook was truly concerned, they would simple direct everyone to AVG's site.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
So by offering this they admit you can get virus' through their site. Interesting... I think I here a few liable for damages lawsuits coming.

G

If Facebook takes security seriously, then it would have avoided McAfee. What a terrible choice. Viruses and trojans run through McAfee like a blowtorch through butter. Even if it catches one, it comes away from the fight with missing limbs and missing key body parts. Avoid at all costs, even if free. The new Norton (since 2009 version) is a far better product and doesn't bog your system down. It's not perfect, but it is the best suite available and by far the easiest to use for the average person. There may be better individual products, but no suite is better at the moment, and at a minimum, every user not part of a competent enterprise network, needs the Big 3 (virus, spyware, software firewall).

I used to hate Norton because it was just as porous as McAfee, but from the 2009 version on, it has overcome all my major gripes. It is the only suite I recommend without any reservations.

ashrafpasha

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I agree.. McAfee itself is a virus, so is norton as well. I have seen some viruses which are created and cleaned only by these two Viruses.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Facebook will no doubt also get a cut for anyone that pays after the six month period, this move is NOT to protect users, it is a way for them to make money and to promote McAfee.... to pretend otherwise (and for the good of the users no less!) is disingenuous to say the least....

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
frikin useless, they still ask for a billing address and credit card before u can download it. U suck mcaffee.......

Status
Not open for further replies.