Facebook: It Wasn't a ''Smear Campaign''

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]I'm with Marky Mark on this one. Facebook sucks much less than Google as a company.[/citation]
I disagree. Facebook is constantly sucking more and more of the web behind its walled garden, whereas Google is working to put more and more into the open Web. Facebook has had numerous, serious breaches of user privacy since opening their doors, whereas in recent memory I can only think of Google opting everybody into Buzz automatically, and that seems to have at least had an effect on how they do business regarding social networking. Facebook, by contrast, seems to be actively seeking new ways to shaft your privacy.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
http://youropenbook.org/

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb ****.

-DBag and CEO of FB

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
At least Google finally got rid of their jackass CEO with the "if you have nothing to hide.." perspective. Facebook's turn.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Talking about security issues, Isn't about time Toms bothered to fix this endless chinese fake clothing spam crap or are they paying you to advertise crap like feces book?

purist

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
A bit off-topic but is there no way to just bin any comment with the word Nike, Ugg or even Tshirt in it. I don't think I've ever needed to use those words in a comment so it wouldn't be a big loss and it'd be nice to get rid of the spam.

Neither Facebook nor Google suck any more than the next company. They're out to make money. End of story. So the idea of one trying to smear the other is reasonable assuming they thought it would work for them. Covering it up/apologizing afterwards is just part of the process. Probably best to accept that and move on.
Anyway, nobody NEEDS Facebook but if you must post something there then just assume it's in the public domain and don't expect privacy.

techpm

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
I'm shocked at the journalists all seeming surprised. Paying PR companies to do this has always been how the industry works. Why do you think Google also pays their PR companies for?

The funny thing is with all this talk no big media agency has published the actual Google Social Circle URL so we all can see what information Google has and judge for ourselves on how bad this is. Well the URL is:

http://www.google.com/s2/search/social

Mine has over 1000 secondary contacts I don't know from anywhere. Why is Google doing this? Plus there's no real opt out.

xSpyke

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Get real, people. Google is the least of your worries when it comes to stuff posted on Facebook getting posted somewhere else.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Maybe it is just me, but I simply do not get it why the whole world is wasting countless hours of their lives on Facebook, Twitter etc.
How about having an actual social life in the real world instead ?

Maybe I am getting too old to be in the IT business :)

Peter

P.S. A simple check of posted messages for certain domain names would easily remove the spam posts. Takes maybe an hour to code...

G

It doesn't matter.
FB users couldn't care less about:
1. The reputation of Zuckero anf FB
2. Campaigns they lead
3. Who they sleep with
4. Are they vegans
5. Anything privacy related
6... blah blah blah
Because as long as FB has the MASS of users and the CONVENIENCE people will use it, additively period end sentence

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
There is no such thing as bad publicity? Or maybe this is where actually turns into "there is some kind of publicity that is bad publicity".
(p.s. since this is about public relations and smear campaigns, because Sony got a lot of publicity lately and it's all very bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.