Facebook security issue

swilczak

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I know several people who have a facebook account and when they click the account tab and go to security, under the login history there are many login locations from different states, like my sisters account says she was logged in from the state of new jersey and Massachusetts, but yet she's never even been to these states. Does this sound like her account is hacked? Could this be caused by a virus or malware?

swilczak

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not sure but yeah that could solve the problem unless there's something recording her keystrokes and she gets hacked again. It just seems weird to me that everyone she asks has the same problem except me.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Random 'friending', and random downloading/installing of apps (AKA keyloggers) can do that.

Safe computing is just like safe sex. It is a learned behavior.

swilczak

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

She just started using Microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes yesterday, and I told her to keep them updated, so maybe it was a keylogger. I have heard of those but wasn't sure if they were common or not.

They are more common than you might think. I'm sure many have been installed without the user's knowledge. More than likely downloaded as part of a free app, game, etc. I, at one point, had to maintain the computers for a school at which I was employed and the "thing" that caused the most problems was the downloading of a free weather app and clock app. I know at least one of those two was responsible for a keylogger being installed.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Unfortunately...if this was a person near to me...I'd seriously recommend a full wipe and OS reinstall. Not a rollback to a previous restore point, but a full reinstall.

We have known weirdness, in that checkins from other location on her account. To me, that speaks to a keylogger and/or compromised password.

Starting with antivirus now is OK, but are you *sure* all of it is eradicated? I wouldn't be so trusting.

swilczak

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
She changed her password and removed many viruses and Malware, I just don't know if she would even let me reinstall windows plus she lives far from me. Thanks for the help guys, apparently facebook is becoming a scary place for people who don't maintain their computers properly.