Solved! Fan randomly turns on to 4000rpm when laptop lid is down and idling

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hi

I've recently did a full reset for my laptop and now I've noticed that when my laptop is idling, the fans goes up to 4000 rpm and is unbearable. And when I close the lid or put the laptop to sleep, the fans randomly go on and I can hear it across the room. This has never happened before.

My laptop is the gigabyte p35x v3. The idle temps of cpu is around mid mid 50s to 60s.

The cpu temps should not matter at this stage since the real problem is the fans cranking up at medium speed to moderately high when the laptop is in sleep mode or the lid all the way down.

Thanks

Solution
Over time, dust and others come into the laptop through the vents. That dust will settle in thick packets onto the cooling areas, making them less effective. At some point, even on idle will the laptop need to turn on the fans to reduce heat buildup. Fans spinning and temperatures have everything to do with each other. If on idle the temps are around 60 degrees, as soon as windows does anything (like checking for updates or performing some maintenance, temps are going to reach 80-90 degrees, and fans will have to spin agressively. The solution for that is cleaning the interior of the laptop, which i do not recommend you do it if you have never opened the laptop before. Either take it to someone with expertise, or learn to live with it...

Blas

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Over time, dust and others come into the laptop through the vents. That dust will settle in thick packets onto the cooling areas, making them less effective. At some point, even on idle will the laptop need to turn on the fans to reduce heat buildup. Fans spinning and temperatures have everything to do with each other. If on idle the temps are around 60 degrees, as soon as windows does anything (like checking for updates or performing some maintenance, temps are going to reach 80-90 degrees, and fans will have to spin agressively. The solution for that is cleaning the interior of the laptop, which i do not recommend you do it if you have never opened the laptop before. Either take it to someone with expertise, or learn to live with it, but don't open the laptop if you are not experienced, you could ruin it!

Solution
Do you have the control center installed? I don't know if this is for gigabyte as I have a clevo and I am unsure if gigabyte is a reseller. Also check for background processes like windows update as this can cause the fans to rev up quite a bit as this happens to me.

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I agree that there is dust in my laptop from over a year of use but it still doesn't explain the fact that the fans go on when I put the system to sleep.