FBI Launches Investigation into AT&T iPad Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrealpinky

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
All organizations have had or will have one eventually. Even departments within the federal government are not immune. The important thing is how will they deal with it and what steps are taken that it doesn't happen again.

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
They should stop wasting their time on this and investigate the data caps AT&T is implementing and also investigate why people are forced to get a data plan when they buy a smart phone even if they might not need it.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
why bother getting fbi involed?

its a computer computers have been hacked since day one

there have even been hackers since the invention of the telephone and perhaps earlier, there is no way they will stop a profession that far rooted no matter how evil it sometimes is

wongster

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]why bother getting fbi involed?its a computer computers have been hacked since day onethere have even been hackers since the invention of the telephone and perhaps earlier, there is no way they will stop a profession that far rooted no matter how evil it sometimes is[/citation]

just shut up k?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]why bother getting fbi involed?its a computer computers have been hacked since day onethere have even been hackers since the invention of the telephone and perhaps earlier, there is no way they will stop a profession that far rooted no matter how evil it sometimes is[/citation]

Sigh. Think before you post.

I think that what Goatse (I can't say that without cringing) did was in the public's best interest, as they mentioned, and that AT&T, as well as other companies need to step up to the plate and make sure their information is safe. Sure these guys dug up the e-mail addresses, but think of who else could have done so without them knowing? The information is safe with Goatse, AT&T needs to leave them be.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Yeah..you're completely right. in fact, murder has been going on since day one of mankind, so how about we just let it happen. Hell, people rob people all the time. theres no stopping it so lets just have a big free for all shall we?

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Sigh. Think before you post.I think that what Goatse (I can't say that without cringing) did was in the public's best interest, as they mentioned, and that AT&T, as well as other companies need to step up to the plate and make sure their information is safe. Sure these guys dug up the e-mail addresses, but think of who else could have done so without them knowing? The information is safe with Goatse, AT&T needs to leave them be.[/citation]
The moment they shared the information with others is the moment they screwed themselves.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
That is only because some "important" people were on the hacked list. If it had just been the average Joe they wouldn't do crap. Two sets of laws, one for the rich, famous and powerful. Then there is the other set of laws used on the rest of us.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
The FBI is involved because some of the exposed SIM and Email address combinations belong to FBI employees who used FBI email addresses to register their iPad 3G.

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
If I find a door key on the street (a security hole) and then try the key in every door up and down the street (security research), I may find the door that the key opens. If I inform the owner I found their key, then they can change the locks (security hole fixed). They may give me a reward. If I first use the key to go into their building and make a copy of all of their documents before telling them about the lost key, then I will be guilty of burglary. If I make copies of the key and pass them out, then I will be guilty of conspiracy to commit burglary. If I demand a fee for telling them about the lost key under threat of passing out copies of the key with their address attached, then I am guilty of extortion. The electronic form is no different.

The only time a security company has the right to break into a computer system and grab info is AFTER they are hired to attempt to do so. Clearly, the FBI should investigate.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jaybus[/nom]The only time a security company has the right to break into a computer system and grab info is AFTER they are hired to attempt to do so.[/citation]

I'm not saying a probe is without warrant in this case but discovery and proof of concept doesn't require a contract with the vulnerable entity (AT&T in this case).

Many years ago I discovered a vulnerability in a website allowing me to execute TCL (who still uses Tool Command Language?) code on the site web server. I created proof of concept web pages for them that listed database names and tables in those databases just to prove I had unrestricted access to their data.

I didn't keep any data (names of databases and tables) and handed over all of the work I had created to the site owner.

Gathering all of the data is intrusion which IMHO goes beyond the requirements for a proof of concept. Keeping and/or publishing the related data (even with censoring marks) also crosses that line.

Some of these freelance groups don't have good policies in place on how to properly handle discovered vulnerabilities and they run away with excitement over finding something first and showing it off to the world. This often does more damage than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS