Fear I got infected

matizami

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I'm pretty sure I have a virus/malware but all the scans I made was ok.
It all started earlier when windows 10 informed me that my anti virus bitdefender smart security is off. I reset my pc, tried to re-launch it,
tried in safe mode but there still an error. I contacted them and waiting for a reply.
Meanwhile, I scanned with windows defender, in windows and safe mode, but it didn't find anything.
same goes with Super-antispyware and malwarebytes.
But I still think I got infected. why?
1. I can't update windows defender
2. I wanted to save a screenshot of the error on desktop, but its says I don't have access ("you don't have premission to save in this location. Contact the administrator"). I can safe it on safe mode
or in another drive.
3. I tried to created text document on desktop, but "destination folder access denied"

I disconnected the pc form internet and I'm afraid to work on it.

any advise?

Solution
Exactly. This truly sounds like more of a problem with the operating system or an impending drive failure, or even a driver problem, than a virus.

If Malwarebytes, Windows defender, Bit defender and Super antispyware all failed to detect a problem, then it's likely there isn't one.

Just to be sure though, it would not hurt to run TDSS Killer and RogueKiller to look for further hard to find issues not generally picked up by standard, especially free version, virus and malware scanner.

Might also, carefully, run CCleaner as well. Still, I think it likely that it is something other than a virus, because a virus and most forms of malware would not survive a fresh installation of Windows unless you chose the option to keep files and...
Let's start with what, exactly, you mean by "reset" the PC?

We'll get to the rest shortly.

Also, what version of Windows are you running and what are the rest of your hardware specs including motherboard, CPU, drive models, power supply, memory and how old are each of these components or the PC as a unit if it was a prebuilt?

Is it a laptop or desktop?

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Agree with darkbreeze, but would also ask why you are 'pretty sure' you have something. What are the symptoms?

edit: asides from Defender not loading up (this could be a prob with windows updates, and is fixable)

Exactly. This truly sounds like more of a problem with the operating system or an impending drive failure, or even a driver problem, than a virus.

If Malwarebytes, Windows defender, Bit defender and Super antispyware all failed to detect a problem, then it's likely there isn't one.

Just to be sure though, it would not hurt to run TDSS Killer and RogueKiller to look for further hard to find issues not generally picked up by standard, especially free version, virus and malware scanner.

Might also, carefully, run CCleaner as well. Still, I think it likely that it is something other than a virus, because a virus and most forms of malware would not survive a fresh installation of Windows unless you chose the option to keep files and folders intact.

Solution

This is a bad idea, unless you already KNOW what should be there and what should not. Guessing can end up needing to reinstall Windows again in some cases, while in others it may do nothing at all to solve the issue. Unless you are certain, based on a search of whatever the process name is, that it shouldn't be there, for sure, I'd avoid removing processes from the startup or services tab.

For advanced users this is fine and I'd have no qualms about that, but anybody coming here to ask about basic or middling issues is unlikely to know what is ok and what is not. At least, not without doing a little investigation into the process or application first. In that case, I'd still get a second opinion before removing or disabling anything.

matizami

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I meant I restarted windows. Sorry I wasn't clear.
i'm running win 10 64 bit on desktop pc:

Intel Core i5 4570 3.2Ghz
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H for 1150
Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5V CL11 X2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3
Samsung 250GB 2.5" SSD 840 Series - Where windows is installed.
FSP RAIDER 650W

Each of the component is 5 years old.

I don't have access to save files on desktop.

I will run TDSS Killer and RogueKiller as well

matizami

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
False alarm guys!!!

I just got a reply from bitdefebnder saying an update they sent earlier caused it.
I scanned this time with bitdefebnder and everything is ok, windows isues as well.

I want to thank everyone of you, for helping and calming me.

Thanks guys!!!