Few Americans Cancel Cable in Favor of Online Video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

comedie

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I cut Comcast TV a couple months ago. Saved near $100 a month. Then turned around and put $30 more (I think) into upgrading my Comcast internet speed. We weren't watching much TV anyway, and streaming is working out just fine. Last month I also cut the AT&T landline, moved to Ooma and porter my old number to Ooma. Another $40 a month saved there, and the phone actually sounds better, and the ability to get to messages from anywhere is great.

MandEinfo

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Internet has started to disrupt traditional Television and we will see more cord cutting where service providers have not been able to keep up with their OTT offerings. Most programming content is expected to turn on-demand while sports and live may still lie within custody of Linear channels..

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
My household has not had any form of cable or satellite for over 5 years, and we don't miss it one bit. I do however have a Netflix subscription and I'll possibly pick up Amazon prime again in the near future.

Altherix

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I figure it's going to be more as time goes by, I dropped mine over a year ago and haven't looked back. I'll admit, I cut it because the majority of cable/satellite programming is garbage and not worth the exorbitant price. Which is what made me angry, I felt I was paying for stuff I hated or didn't watch, now I'm only paying for what I want to watch with Amazon, Netflix and Hulu.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The $90/mo is for the first year of service only. I dont know about you but I dont like to change my service provider every year so the statement " In many places, you can get Internet, TV and phone service together for about $90 per month" is misleading. I'll keep cable even though it costs me $135/mo for hdtv,dvr, and standard internet till theres something that is a reasonable analogue for my tv (like hulu or netflix only streaming live channels too so I can change between them) on the pc. My tv has a vga port on it so I can literally pipe what ever is on my PC to my TV if I want... the only challenge is changing channels from the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.