Fiio e17k vs sony strdh540 sound processing (Time sensitive)

jon son

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Hi i bought sennheiser game one headset for gaming pc but mainly ps4 .

(Time sensitive because of return policy for Fiio e17k )

Will there be any difference in sound processing (dd,virtual surround,etc..) if i hook up my head phones to the ps4's controller > fiio e17k amp > headset vs my home theater jack via 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter > headset / ps4 usb > headsets mic ?

i ask cause i bought an amp for hookup to the ps4 controller .
The sound was to low on headset but then i realized i could just hook them up via Sony str-dh540 HT amp and send back the fiio e17k alpen2 amp i bought for the controller and save $115 ,but i dont want to loose sound quality so please help

Thanks

Solution
Since you already have the Fiio why not try both and see if you can hear any difference. It seems you will be using the analog input on the Fiio and so won't get any benefit from the DAC part unless you can connect via USB or coax digital.
My guess if that the Sony will be fine.
external dac = stereo only
receiver headphone port = stereo only

you could use either. external amp/dac are generally a bit higher quality than the one on receivers but its up to you.

if you actually wanted surround sound (virtual) you would need a different device though. something like a mixamp, dss2 or similar.

Since you already have the Fiio why not try both and see if you can hear any difference. It seems you will be using the analog input on the Fiio and so won't get any benefit from the DAC part unless you can connect via USB or coax digital.
My guess if that the Sony will be fine.

Solution
good catch aa. that is right he would be using the dac+amp as only an amp. that would make the purchase not as worthwhile since he is not getting full benefit.

in any case, the controller only outputs a stereo signal.

the only way to get virtual surround is via emulation (virtual surround) on products like i mentioned above or using a receiver which supports things like dolby headphone. i did not see any mention of your receiver supporting DH but you could certainly check.