File Content / Structure Compare app question

dissemble2discover

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
For the past week, I have been looking around for an application that can do the following:

1) Gather the current file structure of a backup drive:
- All Files and Folders (number of directories and files)
- Show whats changed (or what's been added since the next time you compare the initial FIle Structure data)

I have two backup drives. One backup drive (F) has a folder that acts as a downloads and file saving location for daily use. The other backup drive (G) has the same "base" content of drive (F), but it isn't used daily, and is backed up every month or so. I want to be able to know what changes exist in which folders and which files have been added, etc. with a program that compares the (F) file structure with the outdated (G) file structure, so I can add to it and make it updated.

I do not want to copy the files over, waiting quite a bit of time. I was just wondering if anyone knows a program that can accomplish this?

No imaging programs or backup programs, just a program that can look at one file structure at a given time, and then compare it with a new, edited file structure sometime in the future?

Solution

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Honestly I have no idea of a Windows program that would do this. If you used Linux, you could do this in a few commands without any special programs... If you use Cygwin you can probably write and run a bash script that can do that for you.

dissemble2discover

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

I'm curious to know the linux commands, but I reworded the question a little bit.
Maybe I might have said it wrong.

Is there a windows program that can just compare two dissimilar Folder and File structures and identify the changes to a user either by text doc or visual indicators?

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Try out windiff (http://www.grigsoft.com/download-windiff.htm)

Solution