Final Cut Pro 7 How to stop having to render after any move

JamesCE

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I am new to Final Cut Pro 7, on new quad core imac.

I am not using any filters, motion or any effects. Every time I put a clip into the timeline or move any clips, I have to re-render not only the clip but other clips and sometimes space around it. I cannot edit or see what I would like to edit, only a blue unrendered screen in the canvas.

I cannot put a clip in and play around with it to where it should go first in relation to other clips without first rendering.

I have only Play base layer only option in RT drop down and tape options. If I go to system preferences or sequence settings and attempt variations, nothing changes.

It seems next to impossible to edit anything if I have to render each and every time I drag a clip to the timeline or move something around. How can I stop this so that I can edit properly and see what I'm attempting to edit without having to render. If not, I can only see a blue unrendered screen where the clip should be.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

etchie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
It sounds to me like those clips you have to keep rendering might not match the sequence settings. I'm not sure if this particular issue would run differently, but I'm using FCP6. The sequence will automatically adjust to the first clip you drop if it doesn't initially match, but past that, it just makes you render the clips to match. It could be another issue, but this would be my first thought. Good luck!