Final Fantasy MMOs Shut Down in Wake of Quake

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Just donated the $30 I spend on FFXI to http://www.redcross.org/. I figured since we're not getting billed for POL services throughout the April billing cycle might as well put it to good use. Every little bit helps."

From a post on a FFXI board I visit.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
It was amazing, because on the news it said that not one case of looting has been reported in Japan, yet compare that to New Orleans after hurricane Katrina and you can see what kind of aholes we have this country. Also I commend you Shakl for donating money as well. But does a first-world country really need aid from like 90 countries? I mean I can understand Haiti- they have nothing, but Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
"...but Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion."

Um... they got thousands of bodies washing up on their beaches and they can't get to them for fear of the raditation seeping out of the Nuclear Reactors, which BTW could meltdown or explode at anytime... I'm sure they wouldn't mind a LITTLE assistance from outside their country.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Haiti and others will need constant help and never be able to take care of themselves. The Japanese need help for a couple months and they will take care of themselves. Any country would need help after something that severe.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom] But does a first-world country really need aid from like 90 countries? I mean I can understand Haiti- they have nothing, but Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion.[/citation]

Excluding the little thing we like to call humanity, in which case any country CAPABLE of helping one in need should do so, does the fact that Japan is one of the world's leaders in manufacturing and most likely exports goods to all of those 90 countries mean that it's in nobody's 'best interest' to give them some support? Idiot.

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion.[/citation]
Opinions like yours are not needed.

G

GODZILLA WILL RISE! but on real note the japan quake disaster sucks hardcore donkey kong ballz i always wanted to go there, wait maybe trips going there now would be cheap? would it be wrong to play DDR in the street while people are dieing tho? j/k

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]Shakl[/nom]"Just donated the $30 I spend on FFXI to http://www.redcross.org/. I figured since we're not getting billed for POL services throughout the April billing cycle might as well put it to good use. Every little bit helps."From a post on a FFXI board I visit.[/citation]

I would like to just point out that SHAKL DID NOT give money to japan from this area here "From a post on a FFXI board I visit." it says that he found it on a post from the forum he visits. NOT HIM. please read carefully people.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]It was amazing, because on the news it said that not one case of looting has been reported in Japan, yet compare that to New Orleans after hurricane Katrina and you can see what kind of aholes we have this country. Also I commend you Shakl for donating money as well. But does a first-world country really need aid from like 90 countries? I mean I can understand Haiti- they have nothing, but Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion.[/citation]

new Orleans was a hell hole, and i believe at some point the people there were forced to stay there, with food scares in the first 2 weeks, no s$@! looting happened, the people this tsunami hit worst have other places they can go, its not like new Orleans where they had reliantly nowhere to go close that was populated and could help in a significant way. remember, japan is about the size of California, and a population of about 130million, help is far closer there than it was here.

now on the subject, if you were in a new orleans flood, survived, and had to loot food to live, would you really just stop at food? personally im thinking this way, they would have to throw away all stock of anything, working or not, so why not take some too? i'm ok with a game if everything is waterlogged about the packaging. though thats if i'm confined to new orleans, not getting any significant help, like the japanese are.

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
yeah looting is OK with me as well .. i mean once you get started on the food , might as well have a party right ? some new clothes , new shoes ... and face it , who hasn't wanted to steal a 55 inch flat screen at one point or another

G

But does a first-world country really need aid from like 90 countries? I mean I can understand Haiti- they have nothing, but Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion.

There's a saying:"you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". In case of Haiti, they can't. That's why powerful countries like Japan get help. Or as in the Middle East goes under pretence help to establish "democracy", which is pretty much an exchange for oil.

G

"But does a first-world country really need aid from like 90 countries? I mean I can understand Haiti- they have nothing, but Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion." -11796pcs

There's a saying:"Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". In case of Haiti, they can't. That's why powerful/resourceful countries get massive help. Or as in the Middle East the exchange for oil hides under the pretence of spreading "democracy"

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Leaked[/nom]There's a saying:"Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". In case of Haiti, they can't.[/citation]

And in the case of Haiti, a lot of that money still hasn't gotten to where it needs to be. You can bet, however, that the international community will buck up its ideas as regards promising aid to Japan and actually delivering it this time.

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]It was amazing, because on the news it said that not one case of looting has been reported in Japan, yet compare that to New Orleans after hurricane Katrina and you can see what kind of aholes we have this country. Also I commend you Shakl for donating money as well. But does a first-world country really need aid from like 90 countries? I mean I can understand Haiti- they have nothing, but Japan can definately take care of the disaster by themselves in my opinion.[/citation]

Yes to the above no to the bottom they already don't have a military they are limited heavily by the WWII treaty. Also it those reactors blow the fallout will rain over the west coast. Then Fallout New Vegas might become a reality. Another problem is people's trust in nuclear energy is already strained the lash back of this will be hit all over the world. Most people still think as nuclear energy as dangerous still, and they are right in some aspects. But the new Gen IV reactors set to come around in the future have safety designed in them. Old systems use control rods that vary the amount of reaction, new technology will allow the use of ceramic coated balls of uranium. This allows a truly safe reactor even if the reactor were to start going critical you can remove fuel (balls) or simply walk away the ceramic coated balls make the natural cool-down time smaller. The system is also cooled by helium, and since helium is 100% radiological inert the problem of leaks is cured.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

If you lived in a nice neighborhood and your neighbors house caught on fire and they seemed to be having troubles would you just let the house burn without making sure the people inside are OK...?

On another note their society has it's upsides, not the least of which are reverence for life and the elderly.

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
"new Orleans was a hell hole, and i believe at some point the people there were forced to stay there, with food scares in the first 2 weeks, no s$@! looting happened, the people this tsunami hit worst have other places they can go, its not like new Orleans where they had reliantly nowhere to go close that was populated and could help in a significant way"

New Orleans had advanced notice but decided to stay put then cried about it afterwards realizing the dumb decision they had made. Japan did not have such a luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.