Solved! Finalising a dvd-r?

abbarich

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
I'm about to copy some family videos onto a dvd-r, but I'm not sure how and if I need to finalise the disc. I'll be burning the disc on my laptop with the ashampoo burning studio which was a free download. I've practised on a dvd rw and it turned out fine. When the disc was finished, it said disc ready and it was ejected from the laptop, but I didn't see any message that the disc had finalised. If the disc has ejected does this mean it has automatically finalised. I'm thinking if it hasn't finalised then anything on the disc will not stay there that long. Thanks.

Solution
You need to finalize a DVD disc for playback on a standard DVD player but not a DVD being used as a data disc.
In any case whatever you burned on the disc won't disappear but it might not play on all DVD players.
Make sure that the program is set to make a standard DVD that will play on all players.
You need to finalize a DVD disc for playback on a standard DVD player but not a DVD being used as a data disc.
In any case whatever you burned on the disc won't disappear but it might not play on all DVD players.
Make sure that the program is set to make a standard DVD that will play on all players.

Solution

abbarich

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for that. I don't have a dvd recorder, so I'm burning the disc on my laptop which has a built in dvd recorder. I've converted it to mpeg and the disc played fine on my dvd player, so I was able to watch it on my TV. I didn't get a message about the disc being finalised though and I can't see anywhere on the burner software where you can finalise a disc. It just burns, then says disc ready and it's then ejected from laptop. Am i right in thinking it has automatically finalised. I'm hoping what I've burned will last on the verbatim disc for some time to come. Many thanks.