Finally, A Tool for Sending Files From PC to Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Or you could use Calibre like everyone else has been doing for years.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Or you can just cut and paste the files to the documents folder on the Kindle from the directory you downloaded the file too. :-|

G

Seems like this article is ignoring the USB cable that comes with every Kindle. Drag-and-drop works just fine, and while charging the battery, too. It's just not true that everything must be wireless. (I've had the wireless 'off' option in place on my Kindle for months.)

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
[citation][nom]pixeldawg[/nom]Seems like this article is ignoring the USB cable ...[/citation]
I have yet to use the AC charger.

ekubaskie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
This was true with the earliest Kindle, but certainly not so lately. My Kindle Wifi works just fine with files downloaded from Project Gutenberg, stored directly into the Kindle's memory via the USB cable.

I've also read many a plain text file on the Kindle. PDFs are a bit of a problem though, unless they are formatted directly for the Kindle's page size.

Meanwhile, if you haven't been to the project, go! Thousands of classics, free: http://www.gutenberg.org

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"users were forced to send files to their Kindle by emailing it to their Send-To-Kindle e-mail address"

Are you telling me I can not simply connect the thing via USB cable and do a file copy?
Lord, I'd not bother with a tablet like that if it was free if I had to 'email' uploads to the tablet's email address. I must be missing something here.

G

As mentioned before, I've never had a problem connecting the device via USB to a PC then just dragging files to the Kindle's documents folder. Don't need an 'app' to do it. Also use Calibre to format pdf's and other docs for the device.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
[citation][nom]ekubaskie[/nom]This was true with the earliest Kindle, but certainly not so lately. My Kindle Wifi works just fine with files downloaded from Project Gutenberg, stored directly into the Kindle's memory via the USB cable.I've also read many a plain text file on the Kindle. PDFs are a bit of a problem though, unless they are formatted directly for the Kindle's page size.Meanwhile, if you haven't been to the project, go! Thousands of classics, free: http://www.gutenberg.org[/citation]

Right, I loved the P.G. Wodehouse books from Gutenberg.

About the pdf - I pushed the "Aa" button on my Kindle 3 and switched to one of the landscape modes. That helped a lot with the PDFs I had around. In Portrait mode the font was too small.

I'm using the USB cable too, just dragging files in Windows Explorer to "documents", no fuss. A weird thing here - my original cable worked fine on my PC's front USB ports. Then I managed to break it. I bought a replacement cable, and that one only works in the USB ports on the back. The front USB ports are fine, since they work with MyPassport drives or flash drives. It looks like not all Kindle cables are equal, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.