First DSLR [HELP]

Danthemann

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Basically im saving up for a DSLR, the maximum im willing to spend is £400/$650 no more k? As im in my last year of school im taking photography or Film in college. I want a entry level dslr to get me started

I was looking at things such as the Nikon D3200, D3300 etc Canon 600/700D??

Also, YES i will get the kit lens but i'm thinking of either getting a 35mm or 50mm, which one will be best?

Last thing, id prefer a larger dslr body as i have big hands, small ones dont feel right :/

Thanks for any help at all.

Solution
Here is a good article talking about the differences between a "full frame" camera (Cannon 5DII) and the APC sized sensors on the camera bodies you mentioned.

The kit lens will probably be a short zoom (20 - 85). I think I would STILL get the 50mm f1.8 of f1.4 (if you can afford it). That can be your low light lens. A 35mm will probably be a f2.8 (maybe f2.0).

Think about getting an "adventure" camera. A waterproof point-and-shoot that you can carry all the time, not worry if it is raining, or there is sand at the beach. Many people use their phone for this purpose. In my opinion, a purpose built camera will ALWAYS be better than a phone.

kanewolf

Judicious
With the camera bodies you mentioned, the 50mm (used to be the kit lens) acts like a 85mm "portrait" lens. The 50mm lens is also a fast (f 1.8 or better). The think you can do to make a camera feel larger is to add the vertical grip. It will add about an inch to the height of the camera body and will usually double the battery capacity. Some vertical grips also have AA battery power as an option.

What kind of photography interests you? People? Landscapes? Wildlife? Macro? Those types of photography each want a different bag of lenses.

Danthemann

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Ok so if i wanted the 50mm to actually act like a 50mm would i need a 35mm? Also, I think ill be doing Landscapes, Macro and Street/People in street :)

What would be best? 35 or 50mm Thanks.

kanewolf

Judicious
Here is a good article talking about the differences between a "full frame" camera (Cannon 5DII) and the APC sized sensors on the camera bodies you mentioned.

The kit lens will probably be a short zoom (20 - 85). I think I would STILL get the 50mm f1.8 of f1.4 (if you can afford it). That can be your low light lens. A 35mm will probably be a f2.8 (maybe f2.0).

Think about getting an "adventure" camera. A waterproof point-and-shoot that you can carry all the time, not worry if it is raining, or there is sand at the beach. Many people use their phone for this purpose. In my opinion, a purpose built camera will ALWAYS be better than a phone.

Solution