First Quad Core Laptop Now Available!!!

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Hypersonic PC has recently began taking orders for the Aviator EQ7 laptop.

What sets this machine apart from everything else is that it contains a system board based on the Santa Rosa platform and is capable of using desktop Intel "Conroe" processors, including Quad Core.

Full specs can be found HERE.

Using the lower-voltage Conroe processors has increased battery time a good 2 hours compared to the previous high-end Clevo-based models that used FX-60/P4 processors.

Another unique innovation this laptop brings is the use of three (3) hard drives. Not only does this provide storage capacity unheard of until now, but thanks to the integrated ICH8R chipset it allows for the first time RAID 5 configurations, offering impressive hard drive speeds with full data protection.

The unit is big, 11.75"W x 15.5"D x 2.35"H, weighs in around 11.5 pounds, and comes in various high-quality paint finishes.

Making the deal even more sweet, it will be the first laptop to sport the upcoming DX10 GeForce Go 8800 series video cards, in SLI.

Prices start at $2,745. Fully configured with 3-year warranty = $5,355.00.

I want one! :twisted:

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Before you go getting all worked up on this system I may have some information that can help you get over the glorious DESKTOP Quadcore chip fantasy REAL FAST.

1.) It has a 965 chipset.
There are only 4 revisions of the 965 that can take a Quadcore.

2.) It is a desktop chip. Read heat & juice.

3.) It is SLI in a 17" chassis. I would really like to know how they are planning on powering 2 GPU's and a Quadcore.

4.) This model is based on a chassis & motherboard previously released with an incredibly high RMA rate.

5.) NEVER pre-order any notebook that is scheduled for release "mid-May"

I would recommend a mobile chip in a notebook. I would also recommend NON SLI in a 17" chassis as the next gen of single GPU systems will be out about the same time as this model.

I will be getting this model to evaluate and mod to see if the heat can be brought down to an acceptable level and if they have done anything more than update the chipset on a dog of a system.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I wanted to add this as I forgot to in the first post.

Of course I want to get the best price on power supplies etc. so I called the company that supplies me with all my power cords for around the world.

I told them of the requirements for my 20.1" dual GPU Assassin system, this still has a mobile CPU, but the 20.1" dual lamp LCD... it's going to use some power, but still less than the beast we are talking about here.

The QuadCore desktop chip uses 120 watts at performance levels, that's allot of wattage. Anyway, back to the Assassin power supply (for a lessor comparison sake), the guy literally said, "Holy cow! That is a huge amount of juice to be running through a notebook." That's from a company dealing with this stuff every day. That power supply weighs about 5 pounds alone, it is literally only slightly shorter than a brick you would use on your house. Something else to consider, may or may not be a factor to you.

Now someone had said earlier there was a RAID5 option on this notebook. RAID5 requires 3 hard drives (minimum). What does this thing have a 650 watt external power supply? At some point you might want to look at a portable LAN type case instead of a notebook. I am designing on that can accept an extended ATX board (most of them now are micro-ATX capable only) with Dual Quad Core XEON's and I can put a WUXGA 17" screen on the thing and it would probably be lighter!

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
You make an interesting observation. The previous D900 series Clevo machines were available with the 3.8GHz Pentium 4 670, which is a 115W part. If the quad core runs at 120W then there is not much difference in power usage, except the fact that the old beast used two hard drives and one GPU while this latest monster needs to power three drives and two GPU.

The difference in power that one extra drive and graphics card will eat is probably only a few more amps. The real issue is power dissipation. Those 220W bricks get hot enough already and I don't think a 250W one would be cooler, hence the bigger heatsinks and larger size brick.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The heat that all that extra will generate is sizable as the difference between a 7900 GTX and a 7950 GTX is quite a bit.

There was actually another post where the guys power supply brick kept failing because (evidentially) it was overheating. I'll probably need a heatsink mod for the freaking power brick too! Have some sort of solifd AL case that is fluted on 3 sides for it or something.

I also wanted to mention that nVidia recommends a 400 watt 26 AMP ps (on the 12 volt rail) for a desktop 8800. That's a minimum that I will personally guaranty is not enough power supply to work properly on a desktop, but the key is 26 AMPs on the 12 volt rail.

I wonder if notebook accidental insurance from www.safeware.com includes if your notebook burns your house down ?!?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I just got word, like I said before... these notebooks are not Quad core capable, will NOT ship with 8800 GTX GPU's.

How are these guys going to explain that to all their pre-orders?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I'm guessing the next 2-5 months will give a better picture - I'm sure you know that when you're dealing with bleeding-edge, you do cut yourself here and there.

I just read elsewhere that this particular platform should be using the newer T7700 cpu. It seems we will need to wait until Intel introduces the quad-core Penryn in H12008 for a true mobile quad core solution.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well one thing to note all high end Desktops replacements are large and only last a hour mybe 2 on battery. Which is good when the Power out or short trips. I would go for a laptop that uses quad cores. But it would be year or more for that tech where you can control all cpu to save power. So if you want one cores running at 970mhz and the other 3 cores asleep.

I think Hard drive on laptops where there 2 or 3 hard drives. or even in partions. Setup where you can turn off hard drives you dont use and limit large hard drives Partions to save power.

But you have to pick laptops that you like. But the Spec of this desktop Replacement has No Quadcore. Pro-Star Has the same chasie. But the company tht make Pro Star or hypersonic setups have reliable setups and don't run super hot. They have good cooling systems.

Two GPUs. If it was in a laptop I would like a option to disable one on the road so I dont waste battery power.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 Ghz
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 Ghz
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 Ghz
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93 Ghz

One other thing is I did not see anyone say there quad core.

Question I have is the 20.1 inch laptop Amd?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Luscious,
I would definitely wait for a mobile QC. A desktop chip in a notebook is just so asking for trouble. I wouldn't say it if this was the first time they tried it, and they were unknowing of what would most likely happen, but they HAVE tried it, and should no it is a hair-brained idea.

On a side note... Looks like DELL will have some version of a 8600 mobile GPU months before everyone else again in another one their infamous "DELL Exclusive" back-door deals. Wouldn't it be nice if the playing field was level?" Why don't these other companies file a complaint with the FTC on this stuff? IT is hardly fair competition.

AtolSammeek:
...the [ODM] tht make any of these setups have reliable setups and don't run super hot. They have good cooling systems.
This statement is based on what? If the cooling were that good, I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble to design and manufacture my own custom heatsink and case mods for the 7950... let alone the 88xx class GPU's.
If the cooling was even adequate then why was the RMA rate of the chassis this system is based on so high?

Brother, a statement from someone with many, many posts would obviously be given credence...
How can you commend the efficiency of the cooling of a GPU and CPU... in fact, let's just say the entire chassis of a system that isn't even released yet?
I don't want to set you off, but allot of people read Tom's and other forums and take them as gospel, your post is obviously a misplaced opinion, yet it is stated as fact.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The one that scares me about using a desktop cpu in a notebook is heat. The desktop chips are only rated to 60 degrees Celcius. A mobile cpu is rated to 100 degrees Celcius.
For giggles, find and load TAT (Intel's Thermal Anaylis Tool). Start a cpu run with 100% load. Most cpu's will hit well over 60 degrees Celcius in a few short minutes inside a notebook... that would fry a desktop chip.

They had better of done some serious cooling to these boxes...

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well cfisherrktk if your right I bet people who over clock Desktop cpus would be upset. I think it best to get your facts right. I have ask a few areas and there all saying Intel core 2 laptop and desktop cpus are rated 100c.

The one that scares me about using a desktop cpu in a notebook is heat. The desktop chips are only rated to 60 degrees Celcius. A mobile cpu is rated to 100 degrees Celcius.
For giggles, find and load TAT (Intel's Thermal Anaylis Tool). Start a cpu run with 100% load. Most cpu's will hit well over 60 degrees Celcius in a few short minutes inside a notebook... that would fry a desktop chip.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yea Chris... get your facts straight! This chart right here from Intel, which is part of the thermal dynamic data sheet for the boxed C2D desktop processors shows that you are absolutely right! errrrrrr, wait a minute :? .

e6700 Core 2 Duo temps in overclocking
The maximum recommended temperature for a E6700 is 60.1C
22 forum pages of temps from processor temps database.

Overclockers AU Quad Core temps.

Link to Wikipedia removed because AtolSammeek takes offense to information from Wiki, even if it is supported by 4 other links, including the actual manufacturers thermal specs."

Chris, from now on please site credible sources like these if you want to be taken seriously...
I have ask a few areas and there all saying Intel core 2 laptop and desktop cpus are rated 100c.
Take a look at the manufacturer rated CPU power consumption, vs actual system power consumption
powerconsumption.jpg

Stick that puppy in a notebook chassis once (the quad core is on the bottom) 267 watts!

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry I would not trust wikipedia. It was funny a guy in CPU Forum tired quoting everything in Wikpedia. Why not get some info from intel.

Article Discussion Edit this page History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

Allowing anyone to edit Wikipedia means that it is more easily vandalized or susceptible to unchecked information later needing removal. While blatant vandalism is usually easily spotted and rapidly corrected, Wikipedia is more subject to subtle vandalism and viewpoint promotion than a typical reference work. While Wikipedia articles generally attain a good standard after editing, it is important to note that fledgling, or less well monitored, articles may be susceptible to vandalism and insertion of false information. Wikipedia's radical openness also means that any given article may be, at any given moment, in a bad state, such as in the middle of a large edit, or a controversial rewrite. Many contributors do not yet comply fully with key policies, or may add information without citable sources. Wikipedia's open approach tremendously increases the chances that any particular factual error or misleading statement will be relatively promptly corrected. Numerous editors at any given time are monitoring recent changes and edits to articles on their watchlist.

I think we should have them do test or find reviews and see what the temp on the laptops are. So it shows both CPU temp and Raw power.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
And the direct link to Intel's own spec sheet for thermal dynamics on the processors in question that they make? Which BTW is the VERY FIRST link.

And the 22 pages of forum posts of hard core clock-jockies?

And OverClockers.com!?!

You are trying to distill the entire post down to a single Wikipedia link to what?
To somehow invalidate the facts of the statement, or to grasp at something... anything that you can point to to shift the focus from yet another one of your hair-brained pronouncements.
You can't be serious right now.

I think we need to again re-affirm our love for Atol with hugs to calm him down.
hugs.gif

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
How many times are you going to edit your post?!?

Now that you added:
I think we should have them do test or find reviews and see what the temp on the laptops are. So it shows both CPU temp and Raw power.

The notebook is NOT EVEN RELEASED YET! And who is THEM?

Even the edited version makes no sense.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what wrong Killernotebook. You did not see the (edit this page) on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

Here let make it clear for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Intel_Core_2&action=edit

Please keep worshiping Wikipedia But like I pointed out before Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. It funny Teachers from All school to Collage Tell everyone wikipedia is not reliable

Then this bring up another question if the notebook not released yet why are you pouting about it. Mybe it has a good cooling system. Yet you bashing it already.

Why dont we get a little more info. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=110398

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You know Atol, you're still focusing on Wikipedia, which at this point, makes you look so foolish it isn't even funny.

Here's what I will do, I will go to the original post I made, I will take out the 1 link to Wikipedia (out of 5, one being from the manufacturer of the chip itself, and another from 22 forum pages of overclockers... all of which say the exact same thing BTW)

Then this bring up another question if the notebook not released yet why are you pouting about it. Mybe it has a good cooling system. Yet you bashing it already.
I am "pouting about it? That's just stupid, Atol, I have said over and over that I am going to get the notebook, I am going to test the notebook, and if the thing works, I might even sell the notebook, BUT I'm not going to sell something that is junk, and I am certainly NOT going to hype something and cover up the fact the CORE of this thing has has some major problems in the past!

I know the chassis it is based off of, it is little more than a chipset update to it. I know the history of that chassis, and that its RMA rate is astronomical. Is this something you want to throw more heat, more power requirements and more do-dads into? No, it's something you should know before you invest hard earned currency into something that is a proven dog.

I know the history of several notebooks that have been based of desktop chips from all sorts of different ODM's and the one underlying trait to ALL of them is. "they suck."

Not only that, but the dual 8800 GTX is removed from the spec's, just like I have been saying for months. That was the first thing they hyped... which was wrong. Your other reliable source being Notebook Review is little more than a mass of Sager distributors running around like lemmings hyping products... but what do they actually tell you about them?

I think I would trust the guy that says, "Wait, don't get caught up in the hype... let ME get it, take the risk and test it before I put a stamp of approval on it." Who are you getting a straight answer from? Two weeks wait or a month, in the long run can save a person A LOT of headaches and frustration. Whenever you are looking forward a month seems like such a long time, but when you look BACK you always come to the realization... "What was I so pumped up about? I should have just waited."

I have tried to educate you in the past Atol, but it is always the same. I thank you though, because I realized something...
You have no idea what you're talking about...
So how could you possibly know what I am talking about?

you-are-stupid-tee-shirt.jpg

TRENDING THREADS