Fixing case on laptop? Extended screws?

sameijg

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
Hey Guys,

I own a Lenovo g50-45 laptop and a long time ago it got dropped onto the floor and hit the top left of the case (where the power plugs in).

Since then, the screw in that corner holding the case together has fell out. So now the corner is flimsy and loose, which also causes issues with the screen opening and closing and the power jack (had to re-solder some wires there).

When I took the computer apart, I noticed the screw fell out because the thingy the screw screws into broke off.

I think I could get it screwed back in if I had a longer screw, but I'm not really sure where I could find one or how I could find one.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could fix this?

sameijg

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

It looks like it might work though. Like the way it's broken, maybe half of it is still there. It didn't break completely off. And/or.. maybe it's just the screw hole. Maybe it was made longer or something. I dunno :p It just looks like it would fit a longer screw. I just don't know where I would find specific screws, or find out which screw I would even need.

Also, let's say the longer screw didn't work, would you have any other suggestions for trying to fix that?

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
usually the threaded part is just a thin metal piece in a plastic stand off so if it snaps half way down you have nothing to screw into

you can buy a bag of assorted lap top screws on ebay

other than replacing the whole lower casing if thats where its snapped some sort of very strong glue may be your only option though not one i would try

sameijg

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Ok maybe I will try those assorted screws on ebay. But one thing I was wondering though for that link you sent me, how will I know what type of screw I need? Like the length I could probably measure it, or get 2 or 3 different lengths. But is there anyway t know if I need a m2 or m2.5 etc?