For $20K You Can Watch Theater Movies at Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzhang11

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
[citation][nom]bob_white[/nom]Why not just buy out every seat in the theater[/citation]

thats a good idea, but considering there are over 400 seats in most theaters it would end up costing about the same as the premium service in the long run.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]bob_white[/nom]Why not just buy out every seat in the theater[/citation]
You should see the state of the screens at all of my local theatres.
I'd rather wait for it to come to DVD. I very rarely go to a theatre.

People who laugh loudly or scream constantly, talking on phones, texting, crunching on food etc., I can barely stand it. I prefer the comfort of my futon and 23" monitor.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I have a service that allows me to watch any movie before it's even out in theaters, it's called a torrent, and it doesn't cost me 500 dollars. Thankfully for them, Hollywood doesn't put out any movies that are worth being in a rush to watch, so they need not worry about piracy.

americanherosandwich

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Sweet! I can now start pitching my idea about bringing movie theater popcorn to sell at these people's homes. $350 for a small, $375 for a medium, and $400 for a large with a free refill!

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Given that there are 8 million millionaires in the US, I don't really think they'll have that much trouble getting 250,000 (about 3%) to bite.

Their target customer is the type who already has theater-quality equipment in their home, not your average American household.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I'm pessimistic that most of the people who have the kind of cash to spend $500 on a single movie 1) have two hours of free time to watch Hot Tub Time Machine 2) wouldn't see a $25 Blu-Ray six months later as the smarter investment.

But, maybe I just don't want to imagine that there's 250,000 people in my country that have nothing better to do with their money than to pay $500 for a first-run movie, on top of the $20,000 cover charge, while I have to run a cost assessment of feeding my daughter's Christmas hamster over the next three years.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I hope that I can start a company that will allow me to have everyone pay me $100 dollars every time I fart, belch, or say the word "is" by 2012.

Sounds about as realistic as their business plan.

RisnDevil

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I agree that what this will primarily do is make pirated movies that much better. And sadly, I think there are enough people with oppulent sums of money that this will easily reach their targeted install base.

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I can't believe this goes on in cinemas. In England everyone sits quietly and you certainly wouldn't see someone using a phone. you'd be chucked out for any of those things. sounds like there are lots of disrespectful bastards out there.

rickl7069

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Well, If I was Multi-multi millionaire, 500 for first run doesn't actually seem that bad. After all, the super rich would dump more than that for a bottle of dinner wine. The only bite is the buy in, but that's just a one time fee.
I don't see a problem selling this.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
But there are some theaters that offer VIP seats that have a higher comfort standard and you can even get drinks while you watch the movie...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gzhang11[/nom]thats a good idea, but considering there are over 400 seats in most theaters it would end up costing about the same as the premium service in the long run.[/citation]

within 75 miles of where i am there is 1 theater that is worth going to. it charges 16$ an adult and close to 30 a 3d movie. there are about 500 seats to amy worth watching movie, thats anywhere from 8000 to 15000 a movie, and with at least 4 movies worth seeing a year, thats 32000 or 60000.

now lwt me pitch this idea.lets convert a multiples movie theater into a private screening cinema. some rooms give you 4 seats, some rooms give you 20 and you pay 100$ baseline for the room and 25 for a movie per seat. the 100$ covers a 30 minute cleaning after you leave, and pay for power

with the rooms having a 50-100inch projector, 1080p and a mid range computer would be all thats necessary, and give them nice 7.1 speakers. you could fill a 15 screen theater into about 100 of said rooms, and people would pay that much for private screenings, and the lesser size would be acceptable because of what they are getting.

or how about skip thearters alltogeather, and sell an on demand package for 50$ and let people rent any non blockbuster movie the moment it comes out, because most people wont spend that much money to see it in thearters, but would if its a day long at home experiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.