Ford Aux Question

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
So after a few weeks of browsing and haggling I pulled the trigger on a 2012 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6 yesterday. After all the paperwork was done I go out and get in and the salesman is setting me up with SYNC. He notices that it does not have SYNC even though it is advertised on the sticker and I thought it had it :fou: As the guy goes inside to talk to the manager I look at the sticker and notice I was not charged for the option but it does have it in the feature list :sarcastic: The only thing I was wanting from the SYNC system was using my cell phone to play music via bluetooth. In the end he offered to reimburse me for all cell phone accessories that I need to purchase to get it working as I want to through the AUX IN plug and another free fill up next time I come in since installing SYNC on a non-SYNC vehicle is very pricey :cry:

So here is my question:

What accessories do I need to accomplish said task. I know I can buy an auxiliary cable to use from my phone to the aux in port on the car but is there a bluetooth thinga-ma-jig that will allow for wireless transmission from cell phone to aux in ? Also, I have been told that some of these cables even must be specifically for the cell phone or for the car but that seems some what unlikely since they just appear to be 1/8" jacks. My current phone is a Motorola Driod X at the moment if that matters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to find something in the next few days.

If you are going to play music though the cell phone, just hook up the headphone out to the in of the radio using a two dollar cable. If it's a real aux in, it should accept any audio input from a headphone jack.

There are bluetooth to audio recievers, but they are not really meant for car use. If you really want to fiddle with those, do a google search for "bluetooth to audio" and you'll find several products.

if all you want to do is play music from your phone or streaming from your phones media connection to your speakers then you can do this just fine with a short cable from your droids headphone port to the aux in port of the cars stereo.

if you want it to be a wireless connection then as hang-the-9 stated there are products out there available but i doubt they will have the ease of use that a factory installed solution would have.

i stream audio via my cars bluetooth but only because having two wires connected to my phone when i lift it up is annoying and the fact that if you receive a call with the headphone jack on its strange. remember that you will probably have the charger plugged in for the entire duration if you dont want your phone to die.

---

on a side note....

a brand new 2012 ford vehicle doesnt have bluetooth standard? even cheap kia vehicles and the like have it nowdays.

i have a 2010 mazda (ford owns them) and bluetooth is just about flawless.

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

As luck would have it the car that I now own is the only new ford vehicle I have seen without SYNC. I think you pretty much have to special order it without. In the end I got the following out of the deal though:

- Didn't pay for the $995 SYNC option (It never was suppose to have it, was just a sticker misprint)
- I'm getting a ~$600 aftermarket system from Ford (as in made by ford for their vehicles) to do hands-free bluetooth calling and it will pause stereo and all that stuff
- They are paying for any cell phone accessories that I need in order to stream music through the auxiliary port from my phone
- I had my girlfriend order a nice bluetooth thingy off amazon that looked like it would work. Ended up being $115 and something.
- The thing was a piece of crap and we are sending it back for refund. I'll buy a cheap $2 cord and give ford the $115 receipt and pocket the difference :sol:
- Got another free oil change too

Another question regarding the auxiliary port. Is it (as I am thinking) just a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) jack?

mine is on my mazda (which shares parts with ford)

mine is located inside my armrest console below the tray. i use a 3ft long 3.5mm male to male cable. make sure you buy one with a thin amount of rubber on the end (total diameter with casing) so that you can plug it into your devices if they have cases on them!