Solved! Found a mostly dead HP Pro Slate 12 - how dead is it?

publius10

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
As the title says, I found an HP Pro Slate 12 in the trash, and it looks pretty dead. However, there are some signs of life.

It doesn't turn on at all, but when I plug it in, the screen does flash a little - i.e. it goes from black to slightly less black for about a second, then back to black, then repeats. I read somewhere that you can do a reset by inserting a microSD card with an OS update, and then holding the power and volume up (or down) buttons to get a menu. Now, this doesn't do anything, but it does stop flashing while I'm holding the buttons. Goes back to flashing if I release.

Is there any hope for this thing, or should I return it whence it came?

Solution
The only obvious would be burn or water marks. Other than this it would require testing to see where it is getting power or not. If you can't find a specific damage, then you are looking at replacing parts one at a time. However that could get costly.

publius10

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
yes i thought this was most likely, but the software solution was easy to try - not like it can get any more dead, right?

so is there anything i should look for if i take it apart?

The only obvious would be burn or water marks. Other than this it would require testing to see where it is getting power or not. If you can't find a specific damage, then you are looking at replacing parts one at a time. However that could get costly.

Solution