Four Notebooks Ready For Business

joeygator

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Does the Lenovo really have 512 MB of dedicated RAM? You sure it's not Hypermemory, which means it probably has 128 MB of dedicated, and the rest it grabs from System Memory. That makes much more sense.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
From what little I can see, the fujitsu was the winner.
For smaller more mobile notebooks, better ones exist.
I personally like the Acer 5500: muscle, small, cheap. (Just don't expect a lot of support in the US.)

russmail

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
This is gonna shock any of you who brush off Apple computer as an option in this review, but I deployed 5 MacBook Pros last week with Windows XP as their default OS.

Why? Several reasons, but the final straw that meant Lenovo, Dell, or HP lost the business: none of their machines could drive an external 30" display in native resolution (that being either the Apple or Dell 30").

This specific reason certainly doesn't apply to the majority of laptop users and likely sound trivial, but at my company we invest in getting the best equipment for key employees and this includes big displays.

You should have seen the users faces when they got these machines instead of a ThinkPad. They were thrilled, because they think Apple hardware is great but are more comfortable w/ working in WinXP. And in this case, they personally felt they got the best of both worlds. And in one specific user's case, she's able to fall back to OS X to do Final Cut Pro video editing.

Now, I realize this is my first post to Toms Guide... but I had to chime in here with my recent experience and how it relates to this review.

I'm going to guess the first fundamental gripe about opting for Apple hardware is the cost factor. All I know is, if any other PC company made an identical machine in every physical aspect (performance, aluminium enclosure, asthetic, etc) but charged a few hundred bucks more for it and called it their "pro line" or something... they would sell.

Regards,

Joe.

youmoo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I would not buy an HP notebook. They do not stand behind their products. In the last three years I have purchased multiple HP notebooks including an x1000 and a zd7000 series. Both have design defects that HP refuses to fix after the short one year warranty expires. They should be recalled like Dell did with the batteries, but I don't expect this from HP. I will never buy an HP product again. Also, if you decide to buy one anyway have fun dealing the the tech support outsourced to India.
If you don't believe me go to google and search on "zd7000 overheat".

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
For the cost of those machines though you could have a Wakizachi with 2 year warranty on everything but but hard drive which is a 5 year warranty, 7,200 rpm and the system has best screen in the industry.

The real problem with big name companies is they can rest on their laurels and not use top of the line components.