FPS Drop while playing GTA 5

antoniojsn

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hi, sorry for my bad english. So, i just want to ask why every time i play GTA 5, my fps suddenly drop for like 3 seconds, after 3 seconds it goes normal. Is it my GPU having a problem or maybe HDD or something? i list down my laptop specs

Model: Asus N550JX
Processor: Intel Core i7 4720HQ
GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 950M 4GB
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD: HGTS 1 TB @7200RPM (i'm not sure the brand of the HDD, but it is made in Japan)
Current GTA 5 Resolution: 1600 x 900
Current GTA 5 Graphic Specs: ALL SET IN HIGH (MSAA OFF)

If the problem is in my HDD, i am planning for changing to SSD

Thank You

M_sked

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Put the graphics settings to medium. However, a potential reason for your FPS drops could be the GPU. The 950M may struggle with AAA intensive games like GTA V (especially at high settings!) so you should try and get a better GPU or lower your graphics settings. Personally, I would try lowering graphics settings and if that doesnt work I would get a new GPU.

Hope this helps! :)

MnMWizard

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
It shouldn't be a problem with your hard drive. Do you have it plugged in when this happens or unplugged? You should try installing the latest drivers for your GPU and see if that fixes it.

antoniojsn

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Yes, i plugged in while i am playing the game, even the power option i set to High Performance. My GPU driver version is currently the latest one.

M_sked

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Put the graphics settings to medium. However, a potential reason for your FPS drops could be the GPU. The 950M may struggle with AAA intensive games like GTA V (especially at high settings!) so you should try and get a better GPU or lower your graphics settings. Personally, I would try lowering graphics settings and if that doesnt work I would get a new GPU.

Hope this helps! :)

antoniojsn

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

yeah true maybe my GPU is not capable enough to play GTA in high settings. Changing to new GPU is impossible because it is a laptop not a computer. By the way, may i ask? is RAM affecting the fps, since my ram is only 8 GB?

M_sked

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

No. Your RAM is perfectly fine for gaming. Any less would pose a problem to your FPS, but 8GB RAM is solid.

antoniojsn

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Okay.. thanks for helping me

M_sked

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Anytime, bro :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 4
H Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 8