raz14

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hi tom's hardware!
Hello.

I wanna make some videos out of a specific game, it's an old korean mmo with graphics from 2004 but an abnormally high CPU load (50% or so).

My specs aren't the best:
core2duo 6600 2.4ghz, 4gb Ram, ati hd 4670, 1360x768 resolution.

I moved away from Fraps because the file output was excessively large and the FPS hit was noticeable (40 fps normally, dropping down to 20-30 when loads of effects are present) and while it's playable at a stable 25+ fps, the constant fluctuation is what made it impossible for me to keep a good gaming performance (aka not get trashed by enemies in pvp) while recording at the same time.

Fraps settings were full screen, no audio recording.

So now I've been looking around and it seems that OBS (open broadcaster software) is a good, free choice for a videogame recording software, but apparently it needs some configuration, certainly a lot more complex than the good ol' fraps.

Can anyone help me figuring out what are some specific or overall decent settings (considering the fraps fps details and my system specs) for OBS when used together with this game? I wanna test it to see if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance! If more details are needed I'll be happy to provide them.

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Take a look at "Mirillis Action" Tiny filesize compared to Fraps, with the same (if not better) quality. Tons more features and settings to experiment with and it's capable of recording in different file types.

Google it to see details, it's all i use and i've never looked back on fraps

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Neither is fraps unless you want to have limited file sizes. There is no good game recorders that are free.. And are you to hold the same quality as fraps. It's only ~20-30$