Free (or cheap) video editing software for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi Guys,

I want a free (or cheap) video editing software (for beginner) to merge subtitles into video, crop, add text, etc simple editing works.

I have used AVS video editor at my friend's home for merging subtitles onto a video, but it asks for a "output video setting" rather than keeping the original file format. I don't want that. I just need to "add extra thing" to the video without changing the original video/audio properties.

Can you please suggest some?

Solution
Yeah but it's more complicated and you need a better system to run the software, as it'll freeze and hang a lot on a low end setup. The encoder will be the same whatever you use, and MediaCoder is the best lightweight encoder out there (I have been using it for 10+ years) becuase it is self-contained and doesnt need any 3rd party plugins or codecs.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
avidemux can do that but usually you need to create a new file first, the original doesn't have the subtitle

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/embed-subtitles-mp4-flv-videos-avidemux-crossplatform/

other ways would be to create a mkv file, add audio, video and subtitles, it is a bit annoying but doable

both tasks will need to create a new fle, one mkv, the other can be avi or mp4, you can decide that

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
i know what he wants, but i don't know any tool that delivers a file that works/works well everywhere, or works at all

with a decent cpu, 4 cores, the encode process should take more than 3 hours at worst

G

Time is not a concern, but I want just the subtitle to embed on the video without changing it's original properties.

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
You can't do that. You can add a .srt file with the video file, but embedded subs without re-encoding isn't possible. You can re-encode in same format with subs, but can't remux them into it or anything like that.

G

So do I need to note down the existing video properties and apply them at the video editor's conversion window? If yes, which software does that with easy steps?

G

Can Adobe premier Pro do the same? :D

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Yeah but it's more complicated and you need a better system to run the software, as it'll freeze and hang a lot on a low end setup. The encoder will be the same whatever you use, and MediaCoder is the best lightweight encoder out there (I have been using it for 10+ years) becuase it is self-contained and doesnt need any 3rd party plugins or codecs.

Solution
G

Can it convert videos to various common formats? Better than Format factory?

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Yes any format you can think of, but every time you encode a file it's a copy, so the best quality will always be the original. You can use other formats if you want to make files smaller etc though.

Status
Not open for further replies.