Free (or cheap) video editing software for beginner

G

Hi Guys,

I want a free (or cheap) video editing software (for beginner) to merge subtitles into video, crop, add text, etc simple editing works.

I have used AVS video editor at my friend's home for merging subtitles onto a video, but it asks for a "output video setting" rather than keeping the original file format. I don't want that. I just need to "add extra thing" to the video without changing the original video/audio properties.

Can you please suggest some?

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Yeah but it's more complicated and you need a better system to run the software, as it'll freeze and hang a lot on a low end setup. The encoder will be the same whatever you use, and MediaCoder is the best lightweight encoder out there (I have been using it for 10+ years) becuase it is self-contained and doesnt need any 3rd party plugins or codecs.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
avidemux can do that but usually you need to create a new file first, the original doesn't have the subtitle

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/embed-subtitles-mp4-flv-videos-avidemux-crossplatform/

other ways would be to create a mkv file, add audio, video and subtitles, it is a bit annoying but doable

both tasks will need to create a new fle, one mkv, the other can be avi or mp4, you can decide that

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
i know what he wants, but i don't know any tool that delivers a file that works/works well everywhere, or works at all

with a decent cpu, 4 cores, the encode process should take more than 3 hours at worst

G

Time is not a concern, but I want just the subtitle to embed on the video without changing it's original properties.

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
You can't do that. You can add a .srt file with the video file, but embedded subs without re-encoding isn't possible. You can re-encode in same format with subs, but can't remux them into it or anything like that.

G

So do I need to note down the existing video properties and apply them at the video editor's conversion window? If yes, which software does that with easy steps?

G

Can Adobe premier Pro do the same? :D

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Yeah but it's more complicated and you need a better system to run the software, as it'll freeze and hang a lot on a low end setup. The encoder will be the same whatever you use, and MediaCoder is the best lightweight encoder out there (I have been using it for 10+ years) becuase it is self-contained and doesnt need any 3rd party plugins or codecs.

G

Can it convert videos to various common formats? Better than Format factory?

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Yes any format you can think of, but every time you encode a file it's a copy, so the best quality will always be the original. You can use other formats if you want to make files smaller etc though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mprospero Apps General Discussion 1
K Apps General Discussion 6
J Apps General Discussion 1
Robert Ban Apps General Discussion 4
xFeaRDom Apps General Discussion 8
Dustin97 Apps General Discussion 2
Dustin97 Apps General Discussion 1
G Apps General Discussion 0
C Apps General Discussion 1
T Apps General Discussion 11
sciamwow Apps General Discussion 12