Free PDF Creator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Hey all,

I have no experience creating PDFs but would like to start in order to create more professional presentations of my work. Does anyone know of a good (free) PDF creator that I could work with. I really only need something to create PDFs out of text and pictures, probably in .txt and .jpg formats.

Thanks!

PS - i'm running 64bit Vista (so the PDF creator in the free link section can't work on my computer :( )

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
OpenOffice does a decent job of outputting PDF files; obviously you would need to load in your .txt or .jpg files to convert to PDF, which might be a pain if you have a lot of them.

I presume it will run on 64-bit Vista.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for responding Mark.

Yeah, I'll be running the programs on 64-bit Vista. I had never heard of OpenOffice but from what I've read (quickly albiet) it looks awesome. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to buy Office '07.

Recently I've been using PDF reDirect with some success but I have to use my old XP system (which has Word) to make the files in the first place.

I'll see if OpenOffice works on 64bit and report back. Thanks again Mark.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
To anyone that cares... OpenOffice ROCKS!

To those of you that don't care stop reading because I'm about to plug OpenOffice.

So if you do care, OpenOffice has the look, feel and functionality of Microsoft Office, but its free! Nuff said.

danmarhk

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Once I was out of my home country, my system collapsed and I did not have my MS Office installation disc with me, then I turned to Open Office Portable. It does not require installation, and is fully functionable.

There are some problems still. One is that it takes time to adapt to the new interface. Another one is I cannot make it associated with the MS Office file extensions. The third one is, you need to take to risk of seeing some strange formatting when you export your file to MS office file format.
But after all, Open Office saved my life!!

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Try open office, and don't buy the new ms office. In september I think they are supposed to release open office v3.0 which is supposed to be able to do all the new ms office file formats. In fact it's on the site in beta right now.

openoffice.org

Try it. I have ms office xp sitting at home, don't even install/use it anymore b/c i'm using open office instead. It's free, free updates, what more do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.