Free Xbox 360 if Mandatory Update Trashes Old Unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
That's a mighty fine gesture, but a little unfair to those who have a console that doesn't break :D
Still... for a few weeks of downtime, you get a new console, it's all good!

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
LOL I got a 2007 model and the dvd drive is already bad I'm gonna plug it up and see if the dashdoard update "breaks" the droken drive :) heres hopin ....

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, what is the catch here? When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Since I am not an Xbox expert I can't answer, but what might a user of an older system lose in this exchange? I'll leave that question to the Xbox elite to answer.

Hopefully the answer is nothing and the end result is a net gain!

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I hope it nukes my console too LOL

I have a 2007 Halo "Zephyr" model.

I want one of those newer Jasper models!

Dear Firmware updater, PLEASE NUKE MY 3601!!!!1111

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I've got one of the units Mt.Dew was giving out during the "every10minute.com" promotion (my wife won it!!!) - so it would be nice to get a new refresh unit... though, it's been rock solid from day one.

G

This isn't for tomorrows update. It's related to a previous update, so if you're xbox doesn't already have problems it doesn't apply to you.

jahmekan

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Where is this update. I hope I get a bricked console, because I have the first console with the HDMI output.
They break it, they fick it. Fair enough. I am sure people will complain about this, but whatever. If my console goes down, I put more time into other things until I get it back.

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]So, what is the catch here?[/citation]

The catch is new anti-piracy result in more legitimate game purchases (in theory, on paper). If you're a legitimate user there is no catch :).

captaincharisma

Distinguished
sounds like a bad move from a company standpoint. instead of fixing the problem they just give away a new system that works with the bad software but a great bonus from a consumer point of view.I wish Sony would do the same thing in some cases.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I don't own a 360... or care about that console.

but this is still good news for those lucky ones who would get a "REAL" upgrade to a newer version of their console.

hellpenguin20

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
i hope mine breaks to. i got a model from 2007 past years had red ring of death the drive sounds like a jet turbine engine, and its when i watch netflix i have to turn the volume up on the tv cause the fan is SOOOO loud.

SVoyager

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
Wow this thread is fun. When was the last time you heard ppl WANTING to have their stuff bricked like that, heh!

Lets hope for the best or maybe the worst in this case? :confused: heh :p

Status
Not open for further replies.