fresh install of win8 on ssd 850 Evo samsung on samsung ativ book 6

Smarties

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I have probably read every thread there is about this topic but it's still not working, can you please tell me where I started doing mistakes in the process. I do not want to clone my hdd to the new ssd, and I haven't got a CD drive.

1. turned off my laptop.
2. Took out my hdd and inserted the ssd
3. Turned on the laptop but it tells me to reboot and select proper boot device. I have tried all the settings under f2 people have been recommending in other threads in this forum but nothing is working.

How can I start the installation of windows on the ssd?

Smarties

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

I know it's empty ;) I was told in the store that my pc had the windows installer inside and that I could just insert the ssd and do a fresh install from that point.

I have got a drive enclosure where I can put my hdd in and connect via usb, does that get me anywhere or do I have to change drives again?

jimpz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Your system needs something to boot FROM, like a cd/dvd w/ windows on it, or a USB w/ Windows on it.. It may boot from the old HD in an external case, not sure.
But for a fresh install, you need a disc or USB stick. What the store meant(or thought) is that there is a recovery partition on the old HD, but that is meant to do a fresh or reinstall on the existing drive, not a new drive.Quixit's links are a good way to go.

Smarties

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

it says preferible empty usb drive to put the installer on, I've got an old 30gb external hdd, would that do?

Smarties

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

no I double checked with the guy at the store because his plug'n'play description sounded to good to be true. I knew about the recovery partition saving me from knowing the product key when reinstalling.

but sounds like I just need to go back to the beginning of the process and try again :)

Smarties

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

haha yes it's old, but still works like a charm!