Fresh install of Windows 10 in Acer Laptop

shravank30

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Hello

My existing HDD in my Acer Aspire 5740 MS2286 laptop has bad sectors, so although it is booting, I am unable to clone the same to my SSD

So I think I will have to do a fresh install of the software on a new SSD. I plan to make a bootable USB and download the Windows 10 from Microsoft and install the same and then activate the same using my existing software key. Although I have done fresh install in a desktop, I have no idea about laptops OS. Can i just go ahead and do it?

Will my laptop boot normally after OS installation or will it require any special ACER software before it can boot?

Thanks for advising

Solution
Hello

I had to upgrade to Win 10 before swapping my HDD to SSD as the Acer laptop key is OEM , and it was quite possible that it would not activate the Win 10 fresh install
As such I had read elsewhere that once you upgrade to Win 10, the motherboard I'd is saved in win 10 data and as such you can skip entering the win key when swapping hdd

I preferred not to take a chance and first upgraded in the old HDD and then swapped the Ssd and installed the fresh win 10 which went without a hitch

Thanks for advising

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Did you the Windows 10 upgrade prior to the HDD failing?

If so, then there is no problem with activation, it will automatically activate when connected to the internet. Just click skip when it asks you for a product key.

If you didn't do the upgrade, then you can still do a clean install without first doing the upgrade (like it was when they first released Windows 10. Just use your old Windows product key when asked for a product key.

As for special software from Acer, no you shouldn't need anything. It's an older model laptop, so Windows will likely have all the drivers it needs too.

shravank30

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008

As my existing HDD is failing, I have still not upgraded to Win 10

I have recovered my OS details using Magic Beans utility

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Product Part No.: X15-37379
Installed from 'OEM' media.
Product ID: XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX match to CD Key data
CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Computer Name: XXXXX
Registered Owner: admin
Registered Organization:
(numbers blanked with X)
I hope this Key will work ?

Thanks for advising

shravank30

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Hello

I successfully migrated from HDD to SSD on my Acer 5740 MS2286 laptop

I first upgraded to Win 10 in my old HDD and ensured that the Win 10 was activated.
Thereafter i downloaded a USB Bootable Win 10 Software from Windows site.

I then swapped my hard disk in the laptop to SSD and installed a fresh copy of the OS
I skipped the win key when i was asked for it.
After completely loading the OS, I checked and found that the Win 10 was automatically activated

Thanks everyone for helping

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Good to hear you got it all sorted out.

However you didn't have to go through upgrade procedure before doing the clean install. This upgrade prior to a clean install was a requirement when Windows 10 initially released, but MicroSoft revised the procedure in November (I think that was when) so that you didn't have to go through that senseless step. Now all that's needed is to enter the old Windows key (in your case you Windows 7) when asked for a key during the Windows 10 install. When Windows connects to the activation server it checks that the product key you entered belongs to the hardware you are using, then it registers you for the digital entitlement for Windows 10 on that hardware.

So if you find you need to do this on another systems in the future, you can skip the upgrade step and go straight to the clean install and save yourself some time.

Please be sure to pick a best answer so anyone searching the forums for an answer to this problem will know what solved it.

shravank30

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Hello

I had to upgrade to Win 10 before swapping my HDD to SSD as the Acer laptop key is OEM , and it was quite possible that it would not activate the Win 10 fresh install
As such I had read elsewhere that once you upgrade to Win 10, the motherboard I'd is saved in win 10 data and as such you can skip entering the win key when swapping hdd

I preferred not to take a chance and first upgraded in the old HDD and then swapped the Ssd and installed the fresh win 10 which went without a hitch

Thanks for advising

Solution

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
I've used the same clean install approach on my wife's friend's Acer laptop without an issue. As long as the OEM key for your Windows 7 was activated on that hardware, it will work for a direct clean install of Windows 10.