From optical to 3.5 -> need a way to control the volume

kroon.r

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am trying to connect my JBL extreme to my tv. The tv has no 3.5mm so first of I have to get myself a nice converter for that. I know that when I use it like mentioned above it will work, BUT my tv remote will not be able to control the volume.
This is where I need help, are there like bluetooth+remote sets which I can add somewhere in between, or are there any other solutions? Could you give me examples/links to things you think will work?

Thanks in advance all

Solution
What you need is called a home theater receiver.

Ideally you want to control the volume at the amplifier where the low side analog signal is amplified and turned into high side speaker signal.
Your JBL (assuming PC speakers or possibly active bookshelf speakers) do not have this.
At best their might be some box that can take a 3.5mm input and then have IR control for the volume of a 3.5mm output, but by the time it is all done and said a home theater receiver plus some passive speakers would probably be the same in cost.
Does that speaker have an aux input? Specs don't seem to mention that. You would need an optical to analog converter. Then something like this
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-8394?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&scid=scplp50-8394&sc_intid=50-8394&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm4r7meDZ1QIV0rbACh26Sw-GEAQYAyABEgK8IPD_BwE
which would connect to a bluetooth transmitter. You would need to set the volume control of the speaker to within the range volume that you want to stay around.
If the speaker does have an 3.5mm input you don't need the transmitter.

kroon.r

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
The JBL has a 3.5mm in. So I know I can use a converter from optical to 3.5mm for the box to work and emit sound. However I want a solution to be able to control the volume with for example a remote control.

Reducing the TV volume will reduce the volume from the speakers, just not quite to the same level as a direct connection.

The only way to truly reduce the volume remotely is if the amplifier in the JBL speakers has remote control.

In short, you cant toss pieces together and expect to get get the functionality of a home theater or even stereo receiver.

If running optical from an audio source (dvr, bluray player, game console) then this is a flat out no, your TV wont be able to control volume.

If you have sources connected to TV via HDMI and then optical out on TV to converter:
Yes and no.

Your optical connection carries the audio signal to the converter.
In that data is how loud the sound is supposed to be. If it did not have this ability then explosions and faint background noises and people whispering would all be at the exact same volume.

Now because you are running through a digital to audio converter then this is not a direct 1 to 1 relationship so it is not going to respond the same as say turning your TV speakers up or down.

kroon.r

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
Ok, so what would allow me the control that I am looking for? I can either use the optical out from my tv or my ps4 but from there the road is the same to my JBL box. What could be done in between that does give me control?

What you need is called a home theater receiver.

Ideally you want to control the volume at the amplifier where the low side analog signal is amplified and turned into high side speaker signal.
Your JBL (assuming PC speakers or possibly active bookshelf speakers) do not have this.
At best their might be some box that can take a 3.5mm input and then have IR control for the volume of a 3.5mm output, but by the time it is all done and said a home theater receiver plus some passive speakers would probably be the same in cost.

Solution