News Galaxy Fold Fiasco Is Worst Possible Start to Foldable Phone Revolution

Apr 18, 2019
"Users should not be able to easily remove something that can instantly turn your phone of the future into a $2,000 paperweight."

You mean like the battery, SIM card, or SD Card? Setting that aside, interestingly enough, IT IS IN THE USER MANUAL! "The main screen includes a special protective layer. Peeling off the protective layer or using any adhesives on the main screen, such as screen protectors or stickers, may cause damage." Says it right there in black and white (technically blue and white) under the "Getting Started" notes, page 6. Can you really say that it's Samsung's fault that people aren't reading the manual?

cuthbert

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
What never seems to be mentioned with these foldable phones is who do they think wants them? I haven't seen a single person who has any interest in this tech. And yet, article after article keeps talking about them. I'm seriously perplexed why they (and the press, I guess as well) keep pushing it as a legit consumer product. It's Google Glass & 3D TV's all over again.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment. How many people read the manual that come with their phone? I would say less than 5 percent. That's why Samsung says it is making the warning much more prominent.

Plus, removing the battery doesn't break your phone. Nor the SIM. Nor the SD card. It's not the same thing. Samsung also hasn't addressed why units are failing where the protective layer was not removed.

"Users should not be able to easily remove something that can instantly turn your phone of the future into a $2,000 paperweight."

You mean like the battery, SIM card, or SD Card? Setting that aside, interestingly enough, IT IS IN THE USER MANUAL! "The main screen includes a special protective layer. Peeling off the protective layer or using any adhesives on the main screen, such as screen protectors or stickers, may cause damage." Says it right there in black and white (technically blue and white) under the "Getting Started" notes, page 6. Can you really say that it's Samsung's fault that people aren't reading the manual?