Games and laptops suddenly running slow...

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Iv had my dell xps 15 l502x for almost 2 years now and its been working perfectly up to now. I download arma 2 of steam and then suddenly my fps just vent from 45 fps to 4 fps. I couldnt run anything really so i decided to reinstall windows 7 but that didnt solve the problem. Everything is still quite slow and i cant even run games like LoL without serious lag. I have defraged my drive and did a disk scan with nothing coming up.
I have an nvidia gt525m graphics card and a intel i5-2430M cpu

nukemaster

Distinguished
Please check the temperatures. Over 2 years, lots of dust can build up in the cooler fin on your notebook.

HWmon should be able to get at least gpu and cpu temps for you.
www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

When things overheat they slow down to avoid damage.

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I have actually cleaned it not long ago and the temperatures seem to be more or less normal...however i have noticed that my system rating for my processor and gpu have gone down...is there anyway to fix this?

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I just installed the latest drivers from nvidia and nothing has changed...i think that this might be a cpu related problem

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

the core speed is 798.10MHZ multiplier is x8 and a bus speed of 99.76 Mhz

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Not sure i may be looking in the wrong area when looking for core speeds..im pretty sure its the cpu though as everything else seems to be fine and it droped in the windows rating.It seems to always be at 800

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Its acctually gotten a little better now after installing windows updates but my games are still laggy but kinda playable but the cpu rating is still at 3.4 rather than 5.something

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

the core speed is still at 800 mhz unless im looking in the wrong place

nukemaster

Distinguished
You can try Open Hardware Monitor to see if it will log your cpu clocks. It works on most systems.
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

That or you would have to run a game in a window and watch the clock speeds.

If the clock speed is not moving from 800, that may be part of the problem(or the software is not reading your hardware correctly).

Please try with your power settings at balance(or even high performance[I personally use balanced]) and make sure the laptop is plugged in as well when testing. This can be done by start searching for power settings and selecting chance power-saving settings

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Yeah i just check and the cpu clocks both read 800 mhz..

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

i have my laptop on high performance and pluged in but im geting no change in cpu clocks..

nukemaster

Distinguished
Well that would seem to be the problem.

This is the Open Hardware Monitor cpu's set in the plot to show you what it generally looks like when loads are applied. The full top line was prime95.
enxp.png

You may have to check the Dell site to see if they have info get things working(may not hurt to check with Dell support).

I know an old Compaq one I had would not clock up all the way on battery, but that is not your issue with it being plugged in and all.

For the heck of it, Check the advanced power settings(under change plan settings) to ensure you processor power settings are not messed up for some reason.
wsyl.png

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Yeah i already tried that..looks like il have to get in contact with dell. Thanks for your help though

saom07

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I think i have solved the problem...well basically i took the power cable out and put it back in. which for some reason it reset my whole pc and allowed the cpu to clock properly and now i am clocking at about 2800 mhz. So all that stress was for nothing ...sorry :p