GameStop Telling Lies to Sell Warranty?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
"The next 20 minutes at the point of sale counter ended up being an excruciating exercise in badgering"

Way to tell the world you don't have the balls to tell a sales person to shut up or you'll take your money elsewhere.

I'd hate to see his blog posts the first time he deals with a car dealership. You think Gamestop is bad? Try dealing with a Volvo or Mercedes dealership.

Anyway Tom's, way to prop up Xbox 360 gamers and make them sound like they are somehow more savvy than the average consumer because they'll butthurt on the Internet about a bad sales experience. This is 2010, little old ladies get online and complain about everything these days, too.

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
We are talking xbox 360 here, if you dont buy a replacement warranty your a fool. but why should I have to buy one at that? I surely don't want a refurb from M$, poor craftsmanship deserves a replacement. The warranty thing is getting out of hand, I dont think GS will replace it under their warranty and the only authorized service is through M$, so do they send it to M$ for you? if so that's silly. curious of what they are actually providing for what you pay for.

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
That's funny. When my wife purchased my XBOX the salesman said don't bother with the warranty. It was a newer model and that the MS warranty that came with it was more than enough.

Secondly, squaretrade.com

If I want/need a warranty on a piece of electronics I go there. I always skip the in store crap and go with something that is going to give me what I pay for.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cbrei10213[/nom]@ tayb. In defense of gamestop. You know the prices before you trade it in, dont do it if its not worth it, but dont expect any decent money for old sports titles (the ones that you usually get 30 cents for). And as for the new game coming out of a sleeve. Complain all you want, or get ppl to stop robbing the titles off shelves. All new cases on the sales floor are empty for that reason.[/citation]

I don't do it. And I don't trade in sports games. It was an exaggeration. I could buy a game that was launched yesterday from Best Buy for $60 + tax and go trade it in to Gamestop for $30. They'll turn around and mark it used and sell it for $55.

I don't complain. I just don't shop there at all. I'm not buying a new game that has already been pulled from the case and put into a sleeve. That's not a new game. When the wrapping is taken off the case and the seal is broken it is now a USED game. I know for a FACT that Gamestop is shipped games that are shrink wrapped and sealed and that they are ALSO shipped dummy units for display. If they are having that much of a problem with shoplifting how about using an ounce of common sense and placing the new discs in the back room or behind the counter? In fact I can't think of another store across the country that I've ever been to that tried to sell a new game in an open box from a disc pulled out of a sleeve. It's asinine.

tearlach2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I have an even worse experience shopping at Gamestop. I purchased a used copy of Viewtiful Joe for my Gamecube for $3 (my game disk dissapeared after a move). To my complete horror and disgust, the clerk saw the price tag, and said "Yeah, that's about right for this game." Can you believe I was subjected to such content and outright harrasment? Needless to say, I have not purchased from their establishment since.Honestly though, ever since I bought Mortal Combat Legends: Sub Zero for my PSX and the "new" game came conveniently pre-opened for me, I just haven't felt the need to give them my money for anything new. $3 for a used game ($1.99 if you want a copy of Madden 2004 for the PS2) is about the most anyone should spend. All the horror stories I hear just reaffirm my decision. And on that note, who sells a copy of Madden 2004 for the 50-cents Gamestop must be giving them for it? Seriously, it cost you more in gas just to drive to the store.[/citation]
That is astounding, I can't believe someone would pay $3 for that game.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]I have only bought one game from gamestop in my entire life....BFBC2 for pc. Thank God i don't do the console thing.[/citation]

They'll tell you that BFBC2 won't function properly unless you buy their warranty :D

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]filmman03[/nom]Sorta off topic in regards to Xbox 360, I went to Gamestop a few months ago to purchase The Saboteur for PC and was asked (several times) whether my computer can handle the game and that if I were to open the game and my PC couldn't handle it I couldn't return the game.I was quite annoyed, and sternly replied saying my PC specs (OC'd Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 4770, etc). The look on this n00b's face was priceless and he didn't say another word. Gamestop fail.[/citation]

i concur .. this shit has happened to me the last 5 tiems i ahve tried to buyn aretail pc game , some dick tells me "why not get teh console version , are you sure your pc can run this ect ect" ask me i think the retailers are trying to push consumers to buy console games for what ever reason .. ask me i think it all ties to resale market , pc games arnt carried used ecept buy etailers like amazon.com, but console games are sold used in stores , i think they expect their customers to turn around and resell them the game in amotnh for a total rip off price so tehy can turn around adn jack the price up ten fold to soem one lookign to buy used.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Is Costco the only store that does their store warranty right???[/citation]
Costco warranty is awesome. A friend gets a new laptop every couple months. Never gets asked any questions and never pays a dime for a replacement. :)

I hate going to any electronic store, the amount of straight up BS is insulting. [citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]Gamestop is one of the most shady companies imaginable. I have had numerous friends work there. They would fill me in on how Gamestop employees scammed customers everyday, especially younger kids. Kids would come in to trade in games. The employee would check on the trade in value of the games. If they saw one high value game, they would take it for themselves (it is all done behind the counter) and tell the kid what all the games were worth (minus the valuable game of course). When the kid left, they would trade in the game for themselves. So illegal, so lame. If they were the kid brought up one of their games was missing, they would say "oh, sorry, I forgot about this one".My understanding from my friends is it is very common across all Gamestops, at least in the metro-Atlanta area and in Tennessee.[/citation]
I know what I want, I know you're a idiot, so tell me which isle and get the hel out of my hell.

The ONLY warranty I buy is zero dead pixel on monitors.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Gamestop told my gf she could return a $60 fishing game for her Wii and of course she couldn't. I was standing right there when they said it. I asked, "are you sure?" Yeah yeah...

Well the game blew, so we went to take it back and of course we couldn't return it. It ought to be illegal.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Gamestop certainly needs to improve their manager/employee training practices. I don't really care though, I quit shopping there when they stopped selling PC games.

shogo238

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
wow that sucks! the local game stop here are all nice and down to earth people. I purchased a RRoD xbox360 for 50$ from a guy (i know how to fix em) but he gave me the wrong power cord (he had purchased another xbox). I went to game stop to trade in that power cord for credit towards another. The lady just did a 1 for 1 swap, no questions asked, no cash involved. Put the new cord right in the box with everything else and said "have a great day". To this day, never been burned by Game Stop..best buy on the other hand......

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Never trust anyone that wants to give to you a store warranty.For many stores it's their bread and butter profit, and some put high pressure on their employees to sell, and even fool customers into buying them, even though they rarely apply until after the manufacturers warranty has expired.[/citation]
All this article reminded me of...and your comment...is about BestBuy and their tactics for pushing warranties and other pointless crap onto their customers. I love the "optimizing" of a brand new laptop though!!! HAHA

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I *never* have trouble at GameStop, not at any one of the 5 stores we have here in town. I've never heard them hassle anyone when I was there, either. You guys must just live in crappy cities, or have retarded people working at your stores. I feel for you. Everyone I've ever talked to at a GameStop was a gamer, extremely knowledgeable, and fun to talk to. The only selling they try to do is the Edge card, but since I've had one for years, it comes down to 'Do you have an Edge card? Yes? Okay, swipe it..' or, when it comes time to renew 'Would you like to renew your card for $10 and save 10% on your games right now?' to which I usually say yes.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
BEST BUY IS A MILLION TIMES WORSE. I've worked at both for many years. Your hours get cut at BEST BUY if you don't sell warranties. Yet they arent commission. HMMMMM

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
"I can't believe a story is written as if Game Stop is doing this as policy. It's just some idiot making $8.00 an hour behind the counter who doesn't know what he's talking about. If Game Stop was distributing memos to everyone telling them to lie, that would be different."

Your missing the point. This salesmen is working as a representative of that company. As far as the customer is concerned at that time he is the face of the company therefore what he was doing and saying may as well have been company policy. Its up to Gamestop to fix this and properly train and supervise all its employees. Its not out resposability as consumers or media journalists to sort it all out and make excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.