Gaming desktop in a Laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowwolf_7

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015
Hey, so I was wondering if it would be possible to make a costom gaming laptop but with high end desktop parts. The parts would be the Intel i7-4790k cpu, EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Ti graphics card, Western Digital Desktop Mainstream 1TB internal hard drive, 2 Western Digital Black 1TB SSD, and the Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO mother board. The components would be housed in a custom built chassis. Thanks.

Jacob Jagielski

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
I think it would still sorta be considered a laptop, but i could imagine it wouldn't be so portable to be called a "Laptop". Like Mouse117 said, it's more of a Mini gaming pc.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
If you've got your heart set on something like that, look into the briefcase pc - basically, an entire pc in a briefcase with holes cut out for fans. Most of them don't look slick, but they're more portable than the average pc (and more satisfying to build, I assume).

Alternatively, [strike]Clevo/Sager makes some laptop chassis that can support desktop CPUs[/strike] like the i7-4790k, and dual 980ms (not too far off a desktop SLI, but still not the same) with several ports for hard disks.

EDIT: I can't find any evidence of Sager doing this, but they do have some models with desktop CPUs. I know one company whose name escapes me does this with the clevo barebones.

The parts would be the Intel i7-4790k cpu, EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Ti graphics card, Western Digital Desktop Mainstream 1TB internal hard drive, 2 Western Digital Black 1TB SSD, and the Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO mother board.

Would make it too big to be a laptop.

But you might be able to find lower powered components to be able to do a really small build. Don't forget you'll want a keyboard and a screen too. Maybe you could build it into a suitcase as above. You'd need cooling vents and fans still too.

calinpuscas

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015
Those parts cannot be packed in a laptop case, although there are "bigger brothers" who already tried something like this ( http://www.cartridgeservice.ro/msi-gt80-titan-sli-primul-monstru-mecanic/ ).. sort of :)

gbakmars

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you already bought the parts? I have just finished up an almost exact build for my son in law and now he doesn't need it! I would have to agree that what you want is going to be an option, but probably not in the next 2 years. One thing you have to consider with this kind of hardware is the power supply that can handle this combination of components, and a laptop battery would probably need a recharge ever 2 minutes assuming it can generate the wattage needed just to boot up!

I know that certain laptops can fit a desktop gpu and I know that some laptops do allow desktop gpu's to be attached to the laptops via port connections but I am not an expert on desktops though.

Status
Not open for further replies.