WilliXL

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
OK, so I'm off for college and my mom told me that she could get me any laptop I wanted for college. I do play video games a lot and I also need to use this computer for video editing and game design. So I do need good RAM and GPU. I just totally decked this computer out, and though I don't really have a budget, I want to know if I can lower the standard for anything to make things cheaper. The specs are:

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory

CPU: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.70GHz)

RAM: 32GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz (This might be too much)

Hard Drive: 750GB 7200rpm SATA3 Hybrid Hard Drive with 8GB SSD

Optical Drive: 6X BD-R Blu-ray Burner/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software

Also, in about 3-4 years, will a computer of this insane caliber now still be a good computer do you think? I want to know how long I can keep this laptop while still maintaining good workflow in the future when I am still working on my design and editing projects.

Thank You!

g-unit1111

Distinguished
To me expensive laptops just aren't worth it. They depreciate in value extremely quickly, and they have a far more limited lifespan for gaming than a desktop would. Not to mention laptop GPUs are nowhere near the same league as their desktop equivalents. My Lenovo Y500 plays most of the games I want to play on the settings I want to play them at, and my desktop handles everything else.

WilliXL

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

However, I need the mobility of a laptop because, well, after visiting my dorm there is just not enough space to have everything. I am most likely going to be working in the library or at my friends workplace where we design and make plans together. So with mobility also being in mind, are there other suggestions that I can receive?

Thank You for replying

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well if you really want to play games you could go with an mITX rig based around the Bitfenix Prodigy or Fractal Design Node 304 for around the $1K range, and then get an inexpensive laptop like a Lenovo Y500 for everything else, that would be a much wiser use of funds than spending $2500 or $3,000 on a laptop that will depreciate in value really quickly.