Gaming laptop recommendation?

ITR521

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I've been looking around for a gaming laptop that fits these specifications:
-1080p display (Not 2K or 4K... I don't need it and it's more expensive),
-15.6 inch screen,
-slim, flat design (I hate the bulky ones),
-GPU - anything that can run medium/high settings (preferably NVIDIA)
-Price - Around $1000
-Decent battery life (5+ hours would be nice)
I've done my own research and I've narrowed my search down to a few, but I just wanted to hear other people's opinions. Got any recommendations that fit or are close to my specifications? Thanks.

Solution

Yeah if you want something with long battery life you're better off going with an ultra book like the Lenovo Yoga III or HP Envy or something similar to that. Anything without an optical drive and an SSD will have much longer battery life than if they did.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
I'm personally not a fan of spending that much money on a laptop, the main reason is that these systems depreciate extremely quickly in value and won't be worth 1/2 of what you paid for it when you go to sell it. If you must I would go for the MSI GS72 or GS60 but I'd rather put that money toward a desktop.

ITR521

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Thanks for the input. You're right -- I think I'm gonna go for something around $1000 then. The thing is, I already have a gaming desktop, and I'm going to sell it because I am going to college in a month. Basically I want a powerful, slim laptop that I can game on medium-high settings. Good battery life would be nice.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah not sure about battery life with the MSI GS series - they do look nice and the SteelSeries keyboard built in is pretty sweet. But battery life in general is on the decline, even batteries that rate at 3 hours don't even last half that.

ITR521

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Hm... I'm starting to think maybe a gaming laptop isn't the greatest choice since long battery life is ideal for my school environment. Maybe I'll just go for something with long battery life but powerful enough for (low-medium settings) gaming here and there.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah if you want something with long battery life you're better off going with an ultra book like the Lenovo Yoga III or HP Envy or something similar to that. Anything without an optical drive and an SSD will have much longer battery life than if they did.

Solution

thedillon25100

Estimable
Jun 15, 2015
I'd recomend a external battery if you would like a gaming laptop... look them up and find one with the right amount of juice to fit you one with 30,000 MA should refill a laptop battery 1.4 times or so. AND if you cant the HP Envy M6 series though not that powerfull they do have a long battery life. As i speak from experience i bought it a little while ago and it lasts 2 hours full gaming 3-4 hours lite gaming or 1080 videos and 5-6 hours doing normal things :) hope i helped
Good Luck