Gaming Laptop

esieens

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2005
Hello All,

Because I do not want to have a big box on my desk and would rather have a nice looking notebook, I'm looking for a gaming PC:

- dual core
- geforce 7800GTX (maybe SLI)

As anybody got experience with such a system? How silent they are? How performant they are?

Any recommendation?

I'm not looking to overclock it obviously.

Thanks,
David

Wolffje

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
If you want Dual Core consider the Dell Precision X90.
If you want a Geforce 7800 GTX consider the Dell XPS 170.

So far I haven't been able to find a notebook for sale that has both Dual Core and a Geforce 7800 GTX card.

Marauder

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The new Dell XPS 179 comes with a GeForce 7900 and the Intel Core Duo CPU. THG just released a review of it : http://www.mobilityguru.com/2006/04/18/dell_xps_m1710/

I personally have a Inspirion 9300 with the 6800 gt 256, 1gig pc433, 1.83 Pent M CPU and I can play BF2 just fine.

The XPS is basically the same case. They have more metal now but the shape is the exact same. I find it to be very comfortable while playing except for the F keys on the top row are two small and cause you to hit the wrong key. Course you can change the controls and not have to worry about that though.

There are a lot of smaller companies that produce gaming laptops, but Dell, in my honest opinion has more experience and know how when it comes to making a quality product. Plus they come with more powerful battery packs which equates to longer enjoyment.

Everyone seems to complain about how heavy these new gaming laptops are, but I don't find them to be overly heavy. Course I do work out so maybe that has something to do with it?

The XPS is way more expensive than the precision note books mainly because of the name and the extra detail to the case. Thats why I got the precision and just upgraded the parts. I ended up getting a faster model than the XPS I was originally going to buy.

Looking now really quickly it seems as though you can't do this anymore. But ultimately it depends on how much you are willing to spend. or if you want to wait for the newer technology to hit. Either way you slice it, you will be behind the curve by the time you hit the place order button.

If the only reason you want to get a gaming laptop is because of desktop space though, then you're in the market for the wrong reasons. You pay and extreme amount of money for the same if not less performance as a desktop computer. Plus if you custom built your own desktop computer it would be fully upgradable. Laptops have limitations to what you can do with them with upgrades over the years and for the same price as the laptop, you could continue to upgrade your desktop for years to come for even less money.