Gaming / School / Work Computer under $1200

ztburner

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
For one who is not familiar with Asus products, I have heard some bad reviews from friends about them. *who does have bad reviews though?* I had been looking around and heard some good things about the Lenovo Y-70 *touch*. The touch screen would be a benefit to me considering I would be using this laptop primarily for schoolwork, and possibly work in the future. I am an Electrical Engineer and use many software programs including Labview, Orcad, and various simulating and 3D drawing programs. So I was just trying to get a couple options to compare this Asus to in order to get a better idea as to why this computer is "my best option", considering the touch screen is included at around the same price. Thank you all for your comments, it is greatly appreciated!
My questions are to get a comparison as to why the computer would be the best option through comparison with computers from different brands such as MSI / Lenovo / Asus or others.
So far the only that I have had a look at or read about is the MSI GT70 / Lenovo y-70 / and Asus GL551.

The requirements would follow as to play World of Warcraft hopefully on ultra with no problems along with being able to run my other software programs without a problem. Thank you for your input

Solution
I'd find a unit by HP, ASUS or Lenovo with the features and hardware that fit your needs, and your budget. I've owned and worked on many models by pretty much every manufacturer and in my opinion those three consistently have the better products.
I'd find a unit by HP, ASUS or Lenovo with the features and hardware that fit your needs, and your budget. I've owned and worked on many models by pretty much every manufacturer and in my opinion those three consistently have the better products.

Solution

ztburner

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015

Well sir... what would you suggest for my price range. I have no experience with any of these brands and am looking for some insight.

ztburner

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015

What are your reasons for choosing this specific laptop in comparison to the others? Also size isnt really a huge determining factor as long as i can get the number pad on the keyboard. Other people are welcome to chime in for the extra opinions!

ztburner

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
Also is there a reason why in your initial post that MSI was not included into the reccomendations? I have been researching and realized your option for the Asus was due to its 960M processor compared to most others' 860M. I am a big fan of the "steelseries" keyboards from MSI as well as a fan of having an SSD in the computer as well. Would the drop from the 960M to the 860M be a viable trade for the accessories? I figure I could still easily play W.O.W. on at least medium quality with no fps problems?

The model I linked to has an 860m, just like most the others in that price range. The main reason I recommended that model is because it has the best features and hardware with the lowest price currently from the three main OEM's I tend to go with. I don't like MSI as there are too many RMA issues I see due to failed cooling, panel failure and power jack failure, even on their higher end models, as compared to the comparable models from the other three.

Since it has a mobile i7, 16GB of RAM, a fairly high end GPU, a decent panel and a solid chassis along with equitable cooling, none of them really have great cooling if you ask me. I think the entire concept of laptop cooling needs a major redesign, but that's just me. Anyhow, without paying SIGNIFICANTLY more, I don't see there being many other options with comparable performance and quality as that unit. Ignore the fact that it's an ROG gaming laptop. It has the necessary hardware for the type of work you want to do, has a good track record overall and has at least better than average support. IMO, only Lenovo has better support than ASUS.