Gaming system audio

countryfreshness

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Built a gaming system with AMD 8350, 8GB, R7 260X, 240GB SSD, Ultra 650W PS..anyway, no sound unless I use analog line out port. For video, using HDMI port and going into an Integra stereo receiver..video works great. For audio, have a S/PFID optical cable from MB to receiver. Question: shouldn't audio travel through the HDMI cable along with the video signal? You can see that I'm not educated on gaming systems...my forte is small office networking and support. This gaming stuff is new to me. I appreciate any points in the right direction.

If you are using a TV monitor for the monitor then HDMI is best. IF you are using a computer monitor that is a great way too. HDMI does both video and audio, but due to digital copy protections restraints, you can't have both HDMI and S/PDIF at the same time.

Analog is a good option too. S/PFID maybe the worst option. Without knowing your monitor choice, receiver or motherboard. If the Integra is just a stereo receiver, you might just as well stick with analog. Are you using the TV/monitor for speakers? I can't comment further without more information.

Be seeing you, the Prisoner...

countryfreshness

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014

I am using an Epson projector as my monitor/screen. Everything is connected to the back of the Integra receiver; speakers, hdmi cables..everything connects to the receiver. On the receiver, I switch the input to PC and I can then see the Windows 8.1 desktop on the projector screen...but no sound.

QUESTION: If I remove the S/PDIF cable from the receiver and have only the hdmi cable which runs from the r7 260x graphics card to the receiver, should I not also hear sound??

I guessing the Epson doesn't have a HDMI input. Once again knowing all models of your devices helps to speed things up. What model Epson do you have? What model Integra receiver do you have. What mobo do you have? More info the better.

Even running the from the pc(using HDMI)>receiver>Epson(using S/PDIF, not the best choice). It sounds that either or both on your audio setup for the projector and/or receiver is incorrect.

It could be also that you don't have the windows config setup properly.
"
I'm also a little confused because in your original post you said "For audio, have a S/PFID optical cable from MB to receiver" As I posted above use HDMI at least to the receiver. Then if you're forced to if the Epson doesn't have an HDMI input, use the S/PDIF from receiver to the EPSON.

"QUESTION: If I remove the S/PDIF cable from the receiver and have only the hdmi cable which runs from the r7 260x graphics card to the receiver, should I not also hear sound??" The answer is no if you don't have any audio cable running to the EPSON or trying to use two digital signals at once.

Best answer is to run the HDMI out of the 260X(or mobo if it has HDMI out) to receiver HDMI input and to the EPSON HDMI input(if it has one).
IF the receiver(no clue since I don't know model of either the receiver, mobo or the EPSON), next best option is S/PDIF from mobo to receiver to Epson and configure windows correctly.

Be seeing you, the Prisoner...