Gaming with USB 3.0 Dock/Port Replicator

Brett0712

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
So I have a new Lenovo Y500 with the SLI 750m setup. I have been running it as a desktop setup with all the ports being utilized and using a 30” Samsung 1080p TV as the monitor. It works great but I am getting tired of fishing cables around when reconnecting my laptop after I unplug it. Not to mention this thing only has 3 USB ports. Also, sitting 2ft from a 30” screen is really starting to kill my eyes.

I noticed there are a lot of USB 3.0 Docks/port replicators out there now which seem to have mixed reviews. One of these would be great as it would make the cable management infinitely better as well as taking the laptop with me. Also, I have two 24” 1080p monitors that I want to replace the 30” TV with. As a workstation setup, I don’t see the USB 3.0 dock with dual monitors an issue, however, I do get into the occasional heated battle in BF3. I essentially want to use one monitor for the game while the other does w/e (iTunes, mail, etc.) The laptop has a VGA and HDMI so I could connect both monitors directly to the laptop to reduce any performance hit, but that kills the point of getting the dock.

So, the reason for my post here: has anyone had any luck using one of these USB 3.0 docks while gaming? What was the experience like?

Solution
if you mean a dock with displaylink they are only really meant for desktop use, it would be perfectly fine to plug your ancillary monitor into (one for itunes etc) but you will still need to plug your gaming monitor into the laptop to make use of its graphics card, would be best by hdmi.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
if you mean a dock with displaylink they are only really meant for desktop use, it would be perfectly fine to plug your ancillary monitor into (one for itunes etc) but you will still need to plug your gaming monitor into the laptop to make use of its graphics card, would be best by hdmi.

Solution

Brett0712

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Yes, that's what I was referring to, the DisplayLink docks.

I suppose one monitor through HDMI into the laptop and one over DVI through the dock wouldn't be too bad.

Has anyone actually tried playing a demanding game through a DisplayLink dock?

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

you just cant do it, the displaylink chip has no 3d acceleration capability beyond basic desktop elements.

displaylink was made purely as a way of adding extra monitors without use of an expensive graphics card for more desktop space etc.

Brett0712

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Ok, that makes sense... I wasn't sure if it utilized the graphics acceleration from the dedicated cards and simply passed it through the dock. I didn't realize that it did it's own acceleration so to speak.

Thanks for the info!

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
yeah because it works using the usb port it has its own video chip in the dock for the display output, some monitors even have it directly built into them, it would be best to get a USB 3 dock and make sure your pc has usb 3 output for best results.

Brett0712

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
So I could still get a USB 3.0 displaylink dock to drive everything and a secondary monitor while I have the primary monitor (used for video and gaming) plugged into the laptop via HDMI. This should work as I wish, correct?

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Universal-DisplayLink-SuperSpeed-High-Speed/dp/B00ATU4PFM this should do it perfectly.

yes plug the ancillary monitor you want to use itunes and desktop stuff on into the displaylink hub and use the HDMI output for your primary gaming monitor and it will all work fine, just dont try opening a 3D application on the displaylink driven monitor or it will just immediately crash.

you can still play videos on the displaylink port and all other desktop related stuff just dont try using a 3D accelerated application on it like any 3D modeling application or game.