Gateway Laptop Keyboard Presses 'Enter' By Itself

matt4723

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Hello Tech geeks!

I was given a Gateway NV55C with an Intel Core i3-370M processor. It is currently running Windows 7, but I plan to wipe it and install Windows 10. I cannot enter the BIOS, as pressing F2 does nothing. It may be related to the real problem I'm having with it...

The 'Enter' keys appear to be pressing themselves. Not constantly, it only happens when I press another key. For example, I open a notepad window, and every letter is on a new line. I think it's a hardware problem, as it also happens on the startup recovery menu (pressing the Up arrow to get to "Last known good configuration also presses 'Enter', booting into the OS).

I have removed both 'Enter' keys and cleaned them thoroughly, to no avail. I have not removed the entire keyboard itself, but I plan to if necessary.

Is there any way I can fix this, preferably without replacing the keyboard?

Thanks
Matt

Hi,

You are correct that it can be a hardware related problem. Please do proceed removing the entire keyboard first and observe if the same problem will persist or not. Use an external USB keyboard while the built in keyboard is out and see if it will work normally. If it does work normally without the built in keyboard that means it needs to be replaced.

Here's a replacement keyboard for your laptop.
http://www.amazon.com/Eathtek-keyboard-Gateway-Laptop-Notebook/dp/B004WQQCQY

matt4723

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

Thanks for the reply. I will try a USB keyboard.

On an unrelated note, a battery and AC adapter showed up in the 'Frequently Bought Together" section. Funny, because this laptop's battery is shot and I'm using an aftermarket AC adapter that doesn't quite fit.

Matt