Gateway M-150XL cpu upgrade

INF1LTR4T0R

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I'm looking around to upgrade the cpu in my laptop and i'm trying to decide between X7900 or X9000. both cpus are 2.80Ghz with 800 fsb speeds. the only difference between the two is L2 is 4M for X7900 and 6M for X9000. the mobo takes Socket P 478 pin cpu and specs on gateway says it supports Intel Merom cpus, which is the family the X7900 is in. Does it matter what family cpu comes from and if not, which should i upgrade to? I'm upgrading from T7250 2.00Ghz cpu.

Solution
but my old games like StarCraft and Diablo seems to work better on Vista than 7).

that's how I am seeing it here I hate to think what else I would loose if I went with 8-8.1 or this new 10 ?? Microsoft is good at removing that one little thing from each new OS that will screw you over with older games or programs . why should they support the old when you need to be re- buying new ? its all part of there money go round..

I got a few programd and games that installed and ran just fine on XP and vista but don't on 7 until I go to vista and pull out what is crying about to get installed on to 7 ... go figure

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I don't understand why you look at boards -- its gateways bios they give for the board that gives support for the chips they allow on it from them to be used on there product ..
just because the board supports the chips don't mean the bios will that's offered for the board through gateway and it may be locked to that one chip it was sold to you with and that's all -- but live and learn

INF1LTR4T0R

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
there is a bios update for my laptop but the update won't flash. it uses winphlash. i went ahead and got the x9000 intel core duo extreme cpu and it's currently running on my laptop as i speak with the stock bios firmware.

this is for future reference for those that have gateway m-series laptops:
my upgraded M-150XL
Crucial 4GB Ram upgrade
WD Black 500GB HDD upgrade
Intel Core Duo Extreme X9000 cpu socket p SLAZ3 upgrade
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit upgrade(I could upgrade to windows 7 but my old games like StarCraft and Diablo seems to work better on Vista than 7).
and that's it.

the graphic chip is integrated to the motherboard, can't be upgraded.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
but my old games like StarCraft and Diablo seems to work better on Vista than 7).

that's how I am seeing it here I hate to think what else I would loose if I went with 8-8.1 or this new 10 ?? Microsoft is good at removing that one little thing from each new OS that will screw you over with older games or programs . why should they support the old when you need to be re- buying new ? its all part of there money go round..

I got a few programd and games that installed and ran just fine on XP and vista but don't on 7 until I go to vista and pull out what is crying about to get installed on to 7 ... go figure

Solution