Gear To Help You Ditch Cable or Satellite Subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
boxee + NAS sounds like a really nice combination that could be set up and used by non-techies. I've never tried boxee and my hard drive capacity needs are far higher than what I could afford in a NAS so I've got an HTPC with 3 2tb hard drives in it, and I'll soon need another drive. This solution is not for a technophobe, but windows media center is hardly difficult to control with my logitech harmony remote, especially coupled with Media Browser software.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I believe that this article is missing the link to enter the contest. I see the sentence, "Click here to enter our contest to win prizes...", but there is no link.

So many devices to stream video from the internet on one's TV, and yet I still find a home theater PC the best way to go. Who cares if Hulu is a brat about streaming to TV devices? It will still stream through a standard web browser.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
FYI, the WD Hub is very flaky. The forums are full of people with problems many of which are caused by firmware upgrades. How do I know? I'm one of them. It works great when it works. You need to pay attention to what's being upgraded with each firmware upgrade. If there's nothing you need then don't upgrade.

superhighperf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
FYI the iogear has dropped win7 support for their wireless device. i got that from chatting with tech support.

i have it and don't use it because they do not support in anymore :(

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Hi everyone,

Just in case you didn't see the note I left on the bottom of the first page...

[Editor's Note: So we goofed and forgot to create a contest page for the prizes in this article. We are still doing a contest for the Boxee Box, WDTV hub and USB-to-HDMI kit, but the link won't be live until tonight or very early tomorrow. We apologize for the inconvenience. -Devin Connors, Tom's Guide]

Devin Connors, Tom's Guide

G

All you need is a PS3, or an HTPC chances are people already have one or the other. If you dont, go out and buy one. It will cost a lot less than paying that $100+ sat bill. Think of the return on investment, 3 months worth of sat = PS3. You dont need to factor the internet in because you already have it (I pray you arent using your sat for internet, I feel your pain if you are and suggest you move just for that reason alone.)

Bonus = People that use 4G service from Sprint and have it available at their house can use it for streaming purposes as well!

I pay my cell phone w/ unlimited data plan, thats it! Streaming everything to my HTPC's and PS3's depending on which room of the house your in.

I've been Sat, cable, lan line, local internet free for over 1 1/2 years. It feels good, kinda like finishing up a AAA meeting :)

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Device Unknown[/nom]Online Survey Not FoundI’m sorry, we could not findthe survey you requested[/citation]

[citation][nom]JustPlainJef[/nom]Yes, link is live, but it doesn't go anywhere. Survey isn't found.[/citation]

Sorry about all the hassle with this survey link, guys. I just fixed the problem, and double checked to make sure it works. Enter away!

-Devin Connors, Tom's Guide

jms22

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
These devices still have a looooong way to go in order to compete with cable and satellite. It all be perfect if cable companies just dropped their excesive prices a little, but since they still dont see any competition from the above, its not going to happen. People should do an OCCUPY CABLE protest.

Status
Not open for further replies.