Gene Simmons to DDoS Hackers: We Will Find You

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexhicks22

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
i like kiss but hate gene simmons. he's a douche, go DDoS attacks! i dont know one person out of my friends who hasn't downloaded free music p2p or file sharing. The mans a dumbass

G

Whoa...whole lotta living in my momma's basement rage here.... lol. If someone was trying to take yer schizzle and distribute around the world...each and everyone of you here would be doin the same thing...oh wait..you would have to get out yer momma's basement to realize that...my bad... :p

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I've got respect for Gene Simmons, as I own several KISS albums, but I disagree with his message and approach to the issue. I think it's asinine. I would hope he realizes this message is NOT going to help things at all, but just piss people off. In the end, it is going to create more problems for him and many others. Oh well; such is life.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]I hope they keep bringing his site down. Arrogant prick, hasn't been relevant for over 20 years.[/citation]

Oh as long as he keeps making an ass of himself he won't be forgotten and he'll eat shit on the net! And even if he can find a few of the people responsible for the attack that will just make him a bigger target... Gene really doesn't understand the way the interwebs work...

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Maybe threatening people with rape is ok in the US where Gene now lives, but in the UK (where he is from) and other places it is not. His threat is a more serious crime than copying music and ddos attacks. Both latter are only material offenses the former is a threat to life and health.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I have never illegaly downloaded a KISS song.

I have never legaly downloaded a KISS song. I have never downloaded a KISS song. I have never purchased a KISS song. If a KISS song is played on the radio - I immediately change the channel. My children have never listened to a KISS song play in its entirety. I have never known a person who has ever wanted to listen to a KISS song. Personaly, I doubt if there has ever been a KISS song downloaded illegaly.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]How long till he starts hiring people to launch DDoS attacks against the sites attacking him? He needs to start firing back![/citation]

There are no sites attacking him. Not directly anyway. Let's say you boot up your gaming PC, view some pr0n by doing a Google search and clicking random pics, get a virus, and your antivirus program is not good enough (or you don't even have one).

Weeks later, that virus starts sending requests to Gene's site. You know nothing about this the whole time.

At most, Gene's people can track YOU down and sue YOU. Fat lot of good that will do them. Plus it's unfair to you, who have nothing to do with the whole thing and don't even know about it.

He can't launch DDoS attacks against a gaming PC that doesn't even host any Web sites. And even if he can find those sites, he can't do illegal acts (including DDoS), even against people who did them first to him, because then his own little butt would be in jail and waiting for a boyfriend. Also, those sites tend to move often anyway.

G

So let me see if I get this straight....

People ass rape musicians by stealing music.

Gene gets angry because he has invested time, money, and energy into creating this music, only to have it stolen.

He says, "Let's find the people who stole it, and basically sue them into the ground, and hopefully we will deter people from stealing copyrighted material."

Then the theives say, "How dare him get mad that we steal his music (how he makes his living) every day! F#$& Gene Simmons, hack him to pieces!" and then a chorus of "YAY!" goes behind it?

It makes me sad that we live in a world where stealing from artists is celebrated on the grounds of "They don't need the money! They're rich!", "Everyone does it!", or "They should be happy that all these people are listening to their music!".

As someone who has been performing as a semi-professional musician for 20+ years, none of you have any idea what it takes to write songs in a band situation, record them, master them, duplicate CD's, get your music on iTunes (and other digital music dl sites), promote them, design and purchase swag (t-shirts stickers), market them, and go on tour. The expense, time and energy involved is insanity.

It's sad that musicians have resigned themselves to the fact that we're not going to make money on the album itself, because people will just steal it. Recording an album anymore is considered an instant loss. As a matter of fact, if you're not an already established artist, labels won't pay for you to record. A lot of bands pay for their own recordings now.

The only way you can make money anymore in music is to tour, and it's getting harder and harder to get into tours. A lot of bands, particularly independent bands, have to buy their way onto a tour for 10's of thousands of dollars if not 100's of thousands (depending on the length of the tour and draw and act).

Promoters know this, and have started lining their pockets with higher fees. Why do you think concert ticket prices are through the roof?

Artists have to make enough money to cover their overhead, as well as pay for all the albums and videos they make to get their music to you.

2real said: So you're going to destroy someones life and hope they get raped...all because they have a copy of your song, or because they did a DDoS attack on you

I think the better question is, "So you're going to destroy someones livelihood all because your cheap ass can't spend .79-.99 cents to buy the song instead of stealing it?"

This is a very personal topic for me because it effects me, my bandmates, and fellow artists directly. My band might even be known to some of you, we have music for sale on iTunes as well as other sites, and despite going on tours with bands I know you've heard of as an opening act, selling merchandise, and having a music video, all the members of my band have second jobs that we work when we get off the road. None of us even owns a house.

The only people playing music anymore are people who truly love their craft, it sure ain't for the money.

Gene Simmons was fortunate enough to have made his money BEFORE the age of digital music and piracy.

SUPPORT ARTISTS! BUY MUSIC!

G

I think Gene Simmons is the greatest risk to the KISS brand. What an uberdouche...

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Preach on brother TPROM136. I agree 100%. It is also funny to see many of the comments bash a musician that has sold 80 MILLION albums and say he sucks. Gene Simmons is just trying to protect his product and is obviously angry. Who here wouldn't be angry if someone stole their work?

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]TPROM136[/nom]So let me see if I get this straight....People ass rape musicians by stealing music.Gene gets angry because he has invested time, money, and energy into creating this music, only to have it stolen.He says, "Let's find the people who stole it, and basically sue them into the ground, and hopefully we will deter people from stealing copyrighted material."Then the theives say, "How dare him get mad that we steal his music (how he makes his living) every day! F#$& Gene Simmons, hack him to pieces!" and then a chorus of "YAY!" goes behind it?It makes me sad that we live in a world where stealing from artists is celebrated on the grounds of "They don't need the money! They're rich!", "Everyone does it!", or "They should be happy that all these people are listening to their music!".As someone who has been performing as a semi-professional musician for 20+ years, none of you have any idea what it takes to write songs in a band situation, record them, master them, duplicate CD's, get your music on iTunes (and other digital music dl sites), promote them, design and purchase swag (t-shirts stickers), market them, and go on tour. The expense, time and energy involved is insanity.It's sad that musicians have resigned themselves to the fact that we're not going to make money on the album itself, because people will just steal it. Recording an album anymore is considered an instant loss. As a matter of fact, if you're not an already established artist, labels won't pay for you to record. A lot of bands pay for their own recordings now.The only way you can make money anymore in music is to tour, and it's getting harder and harder to get into tours. A lot of bands, particularly independent bands, have to buy their way onto a tour for 10's of thousands of dollars if not 100's of thousands (depending on the length of the tour and draw and act).Promoters know this, and have started lining their pockets with higher fees. Why do you think concert ticket prices are through the roof? Artists have to make enough money to cover their overhead, as well as pay for all the albums and videos they make to get their music to you.I think the better question is, "So you're going to destroy someones livelihood all because your cheap ass can't spend .79-.99 cents to buy the song instead of stealing it?"This is a very personal topic for me because it effects me, my bandmates, and fellow artists directly. My band might even be known to some of you, we have music for sale on iTunes as well as other sites, and despite going on tours with bands I know you've heard of as an opening act, selling merchandise, and having a music video, all the members of my band have second jobs that we work when we get off the road. None of us even owns a house.The only people playing music anymore are people who truly love their craft, it sure ain't for the money.Gene Simmons was fortunate enough to have made his money BEFORE the age of digital music and piracy.SUPPORT ARTISTS! BUY MUSIC![/citation]
The problem here is that the bashers are people who have nothing to offer. Once they have something to offer, and it gets taken, then they will change their tune ...

Status
Not open for further replies.