Get In Sync with File Syncing Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No SuperFlexible File Synchronizer? Too complicated for you?

G

Foldershare has been in beta for years - I think it's abandonware (though I use it and love it)

G

You seem to have forgotten the tried and proven robocopy from the Windows Server 2003 resource kit. It runs in a simple batch file, which can be generated by robocopygui. It's ugly but works extremely well, can be scheduled using Task Scheduler, can sync changes in both directions, and is a favorite business solution that works just as well for me at home, even in Vista x64.

G

i like unison
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
freeware, open source, and works cross platform and remotely.
allows remote SSH sync, too. pretty simple, no automated options, though. pick one dir, then another (local or remote) to sync it to...and it does the hard part. asks about files it is not sure about.

peace.

G

maybe not open source. there is a link to the source code...but it is broken. well, free, anyway. ;-p

G

mmhh nice list a little bit late for me:D. i finally came to PowerFolder. I think its better and i can run my smaller clients

G

I was surprised you left out Microsoft Groove. In addition to being an amazingly easy to use sync program, it also has wonderful team collaboration features built in. I can drag a file in to groove and auto-sync with an unlimited number of computers across the interet, lan, or even wireless ad-hoc.

When I worked overseas, we used Groove to handle a 4 man project team's collaboration efforts. Whenever one of us updated a directory on our computer that was setup as a shared directory, the other users were updated automatically. Wonderfully easy to use.

G

Allway Sync is rather buggy and has several times during sync deleted all files on both shares.

G

Vice Versa is hands down the best tool. Archiving function is awesome
http://www.tgrmn.com/

G

imho, by far the best sync software is vice versa 2 pro (not tested here)

smikwily

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
FolderShare was Free, then Free/pay (limits on Free version). After MS bought them, they went free again - hence the "FolderShare is now free of charge" on their overview page.

I've used it for years and have been happy with it. Works good for groups as well, as you can allow someone else to download files from a folder you have (at least they used to).

Status
Not open for further replies.