Solved! Get Vaio Notebook With Broken Screen to Recognize Exterior Monitor

danbarr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I have a Sony Vaio Notebook with a bad screen. I am trying to get the notebook to recognize an exterior Dell monitor (VGA hookup). The computer won't default to the new monitor (I've tried hitting the FN + F7 keys on startup but no jelly). Obviously can't get into my display setting due to the bad screen. Any ideas on how to get the computer to default to the exterior monitor?

Thanks,

Danbarr

Solution
Hello danbarr;

Fn + F7 (on most Vaios) is the right solution for what you want to do.
It toggles monitor options between "laptop-screen-only," "external-monitor-only" or both screens. On the "both screens" setting, you will still see a clone of the same screen on the laptop and the desktop.

You might have something else going on besides the bad screen.
Hello danbarr;

Fn + F7 (on most Vaios) is the right solution for what you want to do.
It toggles monitor options between "laptop-screen-only," "external-monitor-only" or both screens. On the "both screens" setting, you will still see a clone of the same screen on the laptop and the desktop.

You might have something else going on besides the bad screen.

Solution

danbarr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

THANKS FOR THE INFO! I am pretty sure my video card is toast. Have already purchased a new laptop as the notebook has seen its better days. I want to transfer my data from the notebook to my new laptop. Is there an easier way to do a data transfer without removing the old hard drive? Keep in mind the is no screen on the notebook. Also I am running XP on old notebook and Windows 7 on the new laptop.

Thanks,

Danbarr

danbarr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
So what I am hearing is, "this ain't going to be easy or cheap". Would I be better off taking my stuff into the shop and let them do the data transfer? I hate letting somebody muck with my equipment. They charge too much and almost always load up some crap that I don't need. I would like to do the data transfer myself. The notebook is a Sony Vaio, PCG6Q1L running XP. The new laptop is an ACER 5560-Sb653 running Windows 7.
I can remove the old hard drive. Will a USB drive adapter work? Really looking at the cheapest way possible and I can't seem to find relevant info on data transfer online. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danbarr