Getting my laptop fixed by an oriental PC repair Guy

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Yesterday I took my laptop into a PC for your shop is run by a oriental man if you know what that word means then is been under a rock. For some time the F key on my Dell Latitude D630 has been broken for some time and I was using an external keyboard to type. The first PC repair shop that I went to had its doors close due to an incident that happened there so I walked in with my mom and I gave him my laptop I also gave him the charger I also Buddhism computer form as well typed in my password and the first thing that he said that the program Ccleaner was a virus. The only thing that was running through my mind was this "I'm going to let this guy fix my computer and he can't tell the difference between a program and a virus." To make matters worse he looked into programs and features application list is put it to you this way what he said really really made me worry, and even while typing all of this or should I say dictating this I am getting chills all over my body for I know what has to that computer I'll try to break it down as simple as possible.

1. I wanted to upgrade my laptop and Windows 7 but I couldn't so I had to go on Ebay and pay for a dell copy of Windows Vista business the upgrade to XP professional. I did that I went from XP to Vista it even warn me that some programs would not work and I was okay with that I knew that driver: you are are the wheelman and Chessmaster 5000 all the other programs would be safe I mean what could possibly go wrong? Well a lot things went wrong I didn't want to download the updates for Vista businesses before the installation because I knew that my hard drive space was limited then I went from business to Windows 7 professional the installation was smooth and effortless. However I was in for a very rude awakening in Windows prompt popped up saying something about my files and if you wanted to unlock them is of my computer's name and it told me to input my password so I did somehow it didn't agree with the password typed in so I tried again and again and again after that I canceled the prompt big mistake but I did realize was that all the files that I had from the music and video folders that were from XP were all locked the documents folder was fine. In the start menu most of programs didn't work Firefox got an error message, Internet Explorer didn't work either it seems that Opera was the only thing that was working my speech recognition software I was using Dragon natural speaking of 11.5 was working at all and neither was Microsoft office.

2. The CPU fan was also loud up well most of been because of the upgrade as well not to mention a lot of functions there were probably weren't working as well. This also means that Windows update wasn't going to run at all, after manually updating Internet Explorer which still doesn't work I might add I try my best to make to with what I have though I can download updates now I cannot install them.

So there you have it if this guy says that there was a virus my computer which I know there isn't I am going to completely lose it I don't know what else to do I know I'll have to be calm with him but I don't think I can.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I'm not so sure if I'd made the right choice to give him the laptop.

Ok i'm sorry about i'll try to make it simpler for you. The F key on my Dell Laptop was broken and I need a new one which meant replacing the entire keyboard. I went to one repair shop but do to a incident they were close, then mom suggested that we go to a Oriental PC repair shop I gave my laptop to the guy . Next thing you know here saying that CCleaner is a virus and in program and features he that there was a lot of unknown programs in there. To make a long story short told him that I upgraded XP to vista and vista to windows 7 what I didn't tell him was that most of programs except Opera weren't working properly or was locked due to a prompt that had popped up after long into Windows 7 was the first time, it said that are these your files and it gave my laptop name and a password to type in I tried typing my original password but it didn't work in the end I just click cancel not realizing that most of the files will be locked when I closed the window.

I suggest you find a good computer tech or a friend that knows about computers and try to explain what is wrong with the computer and have him/her look at it. Your post is impossible to understand about what is going on, what you did or what is happening or what you are looking to fix.

From what I can make out that you did and he may have done, buy a new hard-drive, install a clean copy of Windows on the system using a valid Windows 7 disk, not an OEM Dell copy of Vista or XP that you upgraded 3 times. Download the drivers for your system using another computer and install them on yours. Forget trying to fix your system without a clean Windows setup. Copy what files you need from the original drive using an external USB enclosure.

Actually, for a laptop as old as a D630, you are probably a lot better off just buying a used laptop for $150-200 rather than spending any money on trying to fix yours. You can get a core i3 or core i5 system for about $200 that is maybe 3-5 years old.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

All I wanted is to have my keyboard replaced that's it nothing else that is what was broken but I see your point. The guy is probably still messing with it even as I am talking to you now.

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
Not trying to be a jackass, but if the F key button was messed up on the keyboard why didn't you check ebay.com or amazon.com for a replacement keyboard ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-ORIGINAL-Dell-Laptop-LATITUDE-D630-D830-ATG-Keyboard-DR160-/371144354981

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-64-Bit-Retail-Version-with-DVD-Product-Key-/272301340829?hash=item3f666cb89d:g:Yc4AAOSwoBtW5e0O

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148201&cm_re=memory-_-20-148-201-_-Product

The os and the memory provided would have been enough to move on pass xp, my suggestion is you do that way.
Do a full clean install and start out fresh, I know this is not a help thread.
You could have saved yourself a problem if you would have asked someone like myself on toms hardware.

USAFRet

Illustrious
So...
1. You purchased an OS from some dude on ebay
2. You gave the laptop to a 'tech' who apparently has no idea what he is doing
3. You failed to tell this tech all the info he needed
4. You screwed up the password and/or User account

I'm seeing several levels of fail here, and no success.

What do you want the end state to be? An old cranky but mostly working laptop?

Step 0. All the stuff you already did.
Step 1. Buy a new keyboard for it
Step 2. Buy a single, valid OS for it. Not a multi level upgrade, nor anything from ebay
Step 3. Fix the keyboard, and install this new OS
Step 4. Realize that this is an old tired laptop, and you should not have spent the money on Steps 0, 1, & 2.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

You mean some like this:
http://www.cputopia.com/keyboard-replacement-dell-d630.html

And here's the funny part I could've bought that part given to this guy have him install it for me just to avoid everything else. And one other thing I already have a 32-bit version of Windows 7 buying a 64-bit version...... no wait that would actually help me been trying to figure out how could I get a 64-bit version of Windows 7 this might actually help me in one way, as I'm trying to upgrade my own computer to 64-bit. I've already backed up everything to an external hard drive I bought some already good to go thank you my friend you just gave me an idea.

P.S. instead of buying a 4 GB of RAM why not just maxed it out to 8 gigs of RAM? My laptop has the capacity for that all I would need is just one DDR2 memory module with 8GB.

That really made me laugh you know what all seriousness that laptop was a hand-me-down from my aunt in New York if I fix it I could probably sell on eBay, but my parents would let me do it with everything that has happened on their. I don't have a lot of money to pay for a new laptop or even even a used laptop for that matter so I have to take care of it as best as I can.

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
The problem with upgrading your laptop to 8gb isn't possible, that laptop would be able to handle 4gb at best.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements
After you read that, if the disc you have for windows 7 is meant for 32bit only.
The ebay link with windows 7 pro, that would have been benefited you as it will handle 32bit/64bit installation with the product key provided.
Even the seller could varify that with you before you bought it.
Also yes the keyboard you linked would work too, but the clip part you wouldn't need.
Unless you really ruined the whole keyboard which isn't the case.
I know money is scarced with you at the moment, but if you really wanted.
Sell that old laptop as working, including the newly installed os.
Make some money on the side line and buy a used one for the time being.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-2000-2b19wm-15-6-320-GB-AMD-Dual-Core-1-3-GHz-4GB-Windows-8-1-No-Battery-/112063498076?hash=item1a1781475c:g:VHQAAOSwRgJXi4oG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Stream-11-d010wm-11-6-32-GB-2-16-GHz-2-GB-Notebook-Horizon-Blue-/282108327314?hash=item41aef77592:g:8lYAAOSwWfFXkPKy

Don't mind Usafret hes only upset, because you didn't drive back to the shop, kick down his door and ask for a refund. :)

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I could see that thanks for telling me, and yes I do have a disc even though it might be a OEM disk it should do the job however I chould have also gone and buy this as well:
http://www.softweking.com/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows-7/professional/x32bit-download-delivery

I would need to download a program called Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to burn the image file or ISO to a DVD disc, however I will also have to burn a disc with ubuntu on there as well and SD card to put it on. Why you may ask well someone on this thread said that I should pull whatever files I have from my previous OS and put them on external hard drive then wipe the drive clean and reinstall with the new OS I think ubuntu would do the job perfectly since it gives the middle finger to whatever program you want removed or moved for that matter.

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012

Use windows7usb tool, that would have been the best way.
If you had enough space, you could put some files on the USB drive.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

No that's the right I'll just use another DVD-R to do it or if that doesn't work I'll have to buy one that has dual layered or or double-sided to fit them both on their.

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
Easy batman, the iso alone is 3.06gb at best, dvd+r by memorex or dvd+rw will do fine.
Just make sure your dvd burner isn't junk when burning dvd's, set the speed to 2x and it'll do fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Memorex-Rewritable-Disks-Video-Boxed/dp/B009A4ZD8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469247555&sr=8-2&keywords=memorex+dvd%2Brw

If the laptop is incapable of booting from a legacy usb drive use the dvd route, if it is capable use the usb drive.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-008G-B35/dp/B005FYNSUA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469247691&sr=1-4&keywords=sandisk+memory+stick+8gb

If there is a walgreens or other related pharmacy drug store, look in there for something like it.
It'll be cheap at best with their membership programs.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Right I'll do that.

It sounds like you already spent more money on trying to fix this laptop than it would cost to buy a better working used one.

And if you try to buy more RAM for it and a new OS license, that is spending more money on it. That thing is barely worth $130 in working shape, from all the work done on it, you probably spend that much already in labor and parts if not double that.

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012

It'll sell fine good price would be roughly 100.00 with 3 day shipping priority mail small box.
Long as it isn't slow and it'll get average day to day things browser and home/office wise things done someone will buy it.