gigabyte GA--Z68ap-D3 onboard HDMI not recognizing cable

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018
Trying to run audio out the HDMI port into home theater AV receiver. i can't select HDMI as an output device in windows as its grayed out. Device mgr says HDMI driver is loaded and working fine but audio comes out regular ports, not HDMI. I believe this to be a device conflict between the two chipset drivers but how do i give the HDMI priority or else disable the regular drivers?
Many thanks in advance !!

Solution
I do no believe you can route audio thru a GPU that isn't being used.

See if you have a dual graphics setting in your bios (enables the integrated and the add-in gpu's to both be functional at the same time) but leave the default or device to intialize first set to add-in, pcie, or PEG. Perhaps that will allow you to route the audio thru.

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018
Thx for taking a look at this my friend. Sorry if i was not clear. PC with Gigabyte mobo connects to Sony A/V receiver via HDMI cable. (Mobo has only one HDMI port). There is no TV. I am just trying to get audio out via HDMI and into the receiver. Simple system. Sure I could run audio out other ways but wanted to use high speed digital path.
Please tell me if I need to supply more info.
Thx again.

popatim

Splendid
Hence your problem.
If your Tv/monitor has and HDMI ARC port connect the receiver to that. If not then connect via other means. If its connected with hdmi then you can purchase an hdmi audio extractor to port the audio to the receiver but an optical cable would probably be the cheapest route.

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018
hummm... OK. I have a PC. It has a Radeon 3400 video card in it that drives a dumb HP p1230 monitor via a 15-pin D-sub connection. No intelligence in this display. If I want audio out of the PC I can pull it out via the built-in audio support on the Gigabyte mobo's line-level mini-jacks or the optical TOS cable. I presently use the mini jacks.
There is ALSO an HDMI port. I never used it because I never had an amplifier that had HDMI inputs to connect it to. I always ran the audio out the mini-jack and into the line-in of my old amp and it worked fine. Then I got a new amp (actually an A/V receiver) that had HDMI inputs. So now I just want to take the audio out the HDMI port to the amp, rather than use one of the other ways that are available to me. But it's just audio out. Simple..
When I click on the Windows "Sound" control box, and select playback devices, it shows several possible output devices at my disposal, including Realtech Digital Output, Digital Output Optical , and HDMI. Only problem is that HDMI is greyed out.. i.e. I cannot select it for some reason. There is no reason the audio stream should look at one output port differently than any other port. Something is wrong in the drivers, or with Windows, that is keeping this choice unavailable. That is my problem.
You are looking at this as if it were a modern TV with HDMI capability and and ARC return, etc. going to an intelligent A/V receiver. This is not the system I have here at all. HDMI for me here is just another port type on the motherboard to sent audio to. The receiver is just an amp to boost the line level signal to the speakers.
Thanks again for looking at this.

popatim

Splendid
I do no believe you can route audio thru a GPU that isn't being used.

See if you have a dual graphics setting in your bios (enables the integrated and the add-in gpu's to both be functional at the same time) but leave the default or device to intialize first set to add-in, pcie, or PEG. Perhaps that will allow you to route the audio thru.

Solution

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018
Ok - i see what you are saying. I've been assuming that the chipset was enabled but confused. You are thinking it is not enabled at all. Good point. I will need to investigate how to do that in BIOS and then reboot and try it out.

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018
You nailed it. BIOS had an option for enabling onboard VGA or add-in card or both so I checked both. On reboot I plugged in HDMI cable and Windows recognized new device and loaded drivers from web. I believe this will be the solution.
Sadly for me this also resulted in BSOD but I think this was still the right answer to the problem. Thanks for all the assistance!

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018
Rig is back up. So the deal is, now that the HDMI port is fully enabled in BIOS and Windows it is a hot plug. If I plug into it, it takes video priority. So, my PCI Radeon card/HP Monitor cannot stay as the primary video once something pugs into the HDMI. That activates the port and toggles video priority to that port and my screen goes to a reduced background indicating that it is pended. There appears to be no way to maintain the video priority of PCI AND still activate the HDMI for audio out. As an aside, one would think that dual active video screens would be supported in this way, but I don't see how to do it.

jeffreyjoy

Great
Mar 16, 2018
well i could I suppose, as the receiver can strip audio from the whole signal as it does for TV, but I do not know how to do this. It seems to be a hot toggle, thats all.