Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Police should never have been called. Either she listens, or she goes home. (She'd probably get a better education at home anyway.) At any rate, its a huge waste of tax dollars. They are going to have to arrest 5 people for possession of a joint just to pay for this debacle. Things like this are proof that the whole system is going to collapse under its own dead weight.

sferguson

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
While I can see why the teacher would need outside help for this situation the police being called is an escalation that is not only unwarranted but also a complete misuse of law enforcement. What law was broken? Texting isn't against the law, nor is being disrespectful (even to a teacher, or the President or anyone else), so why were the police called? The charges of lying to a police officer? I don't know, but there is no way that those charges should stand, just because a government official asks you a question does not mean you need to answer it (or that you have to tell the truth), especially over an issue where they HAVE NO AUTHORITY. In this case the police had no jurisdiction to confiscate the phone, search the girl or to arrest her. If I were the parents within this community I would want some answers as to why this occurred and what will prevent its being done again in the future.

For those who seem to be rating answers down for coming out in support of civil rights here: would you be thinking the same way if you were arrested and charged for texting in a meeting at your office? No. You would rightly sue the pants off the idiot that called the police and your employer.

Obviously the teacher does not have the respect of his/her students, and after an incident such as this, he/she doesn't deserve the respect of anyone at all.

G

How many people here even read what they type? A frightening number of the responses here have turned this whole situation into the teachers fault. Or that that the girl was arrested for texting. And I hear so much of the "good Parents" here stating how they'll sue or worse if if a teacher attempts to correct their child. Is this really the state we've gotten to? The Girl was arrested for lying to police, the police were called because the girl would not stop doing something she knew was wrong, and was asked to stop. Would somebody/anybody explain to me how that magically becomes the teachers fault. Yes I am all for corporal punishment in the classroom, if any of my kids step out of line I would like to know that somebody has the authority to "guide" them back onto the right path. I have even read one person on here state that it is the schools job to teach, and the parents to punish. If more parents would punish the children, and set actual boundries then situations like this would be rare, instead they are actually quite commonplace. For those of you parents that actually do, my hats off to you, and I'm willing to bet when there are issues at the school, its not your child. To the rest of you that have the "my child can do no wrong and I'll sue anybody that say so" attitude, think about this, that girls father probably thought the same thing.
And for goodness sake for those of you that are challenged in the way of good sense, pleading the 5th is a constitutional right, lying to the Police is a crime.

G

What law was broken to allow the police to be called and then to demand that she surrender her phone? Suspend her immediately and if she does not leave, arrest her for trespassing. There was no basis for the police to even ask for her telephone or her phone number. I figure they were going to call the phone and hear it ring. TRICKY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.