Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm an assistant principal who has as a key responsibility to discipline nearly 900 high school students. I lament operating under student handbooks and codes of conduct of 30+ pages, true. I would love to go back to the "good ole days" when parents disciplined their children firmly, and when a child got in trouble at school they'd get it double at home. Those days are gone, and in this era of litigation and lawyers, one page handbooks are now 32. In this case, this would have ever escalated IF the 14-year old girl would simply had been halfway respectful or compliant and something better than the incorrigible child described here.

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]administrator[/nom]I'm an assistant principal who has as a key responsibility to discipline nearly 900 high school students. I lament operating under student handbooks and codes of conduct of 30+ pages, true. I would love to go back to the "good ole days" when parents disciplined their children firmly, and when a child got in trouble at school they'd get it double at home. Those days are gone, and in this era of litigation and lawyers, one page handbooks are now 32. In this case, this would have ever escalated IF the 14-year old girl would simply had been halfway respectful or compliant and something better than the incorrigible child described here.[/citation]
My both parents are teachers. And I know what they lived through. But, in any case, this case shows
1. incompetence of teacher
2. incompetence of administration not to back teachers, so they just get rid of the problem by calling the cops or whoever.
3. incompetence of police, not finding the parents immediately and trying to deal with the child herself.

Gazz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
There lies the problem todays generation and there cell phones
My brother is a training instucter for all personal to do with aviation the students he gets now days expect everything to be handed out on a silver plate and bork at the word study
one class as soon as the lesson was over all these mobiles came out for texting and games they never went out for a meal break and if they did there was one eye on the phone and one eye on walking through the door ha ha haa
yep the spoilt generation more power to the teacher and the parent

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
When I was in school at that age, our Principal kept a paddle behind his desk. Even thought he couldn't use it, it sure was a good motivator to behave. In High School, any cell phones seen were taken to the office and had to be retrieved at the end of the day by a parent. We didn't have a security office or anything of the sort. We just had trusting teachers that weren't afraid to do a little disciplining... something that is apparently going out the window in too many schools these days.

macbook

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Fadamor[/nom]He's talking about the LEAD sentence that says the girl was arrested for texting (untrue). She was arrested for lying to a law enforcement official during an official investigation. The part about the phone being found in her butt was true.[/citation]

"Great job, you got me to read this piece of crap. I recommend starting all of your story titles with a women putting something in her butt."

Does that sound like he's talking about the arrest? Or did he clearly say that he was lured into reading it because of "titles with a women putting something in her butt"--?

Learn how to read.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
You know there are times I feel the need to bash my head into a wall until I pass out.... Over having read about or seen someones stupidity. This is one of them.

First thing, the police should never be needed to get involved in any school disciplinary action. Carrying a cell phone at school is not illegal, at least it wasn't the last time I checked. Some people mind find it needed in case of emergency. If someones not doing something illegal you don't call the police for gods sake. At this point I can almost guarantee that the girl was very likely black, or another non white ethnicity or else he police wouldn't of been called. So now we have a 14 year old child, that has a criminal record for sending a text to her father in class. Most likely to find out if she'd need to take the bus home or not.

What needs to happen, is these teachers need to grow a spine. Or learn how to handle things ffs. The proper response would of been to ask the girl to go out and wait in the hall till she was done sending the text. Anything that was covered while doing so, well thats too bad you missed it.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Every school I know of has rules against texting in class - for obvious reasons. We don't know the details of this situation, only what's in the redacted police report. Blaming a teacher for a student's misdeeds based on almost NO details only shows you're willing to blindly excuse the student's actions. SOMETHING happened to get the police involved. They do not enforce school rules and wouldn't be dispatched for someone violating a school rule.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
[citation][nom]macbook[/nom]"Great job, you got me to read this piece of crap. I recommend starting all of your story titles with a women putting something in her butt."Does that sound like he's talking about the arrest? Or did he clearly say that he was lured into reading it because of "titles with a women putting something in her butt"--?Learn how to read.[/citation]I read fine. In fact I read that when "quoting" his post, you intentionally left out the first sentence of his post (and the one I was responding to). A little less "creative" editing on your part would be appreciated.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]KITH[/nom]She didn't get arrested for texting. She was arrested for lying to the police.[/citation]

Who gives a shit? They SEARCHED her for a cell phone. It's not illegal to have a cell phone, thus it shouldn't have been a legal search. She didn't have drugs or weapons on her! There was no justice in this... her family should sue.

Maybe I should move to Canada. Are the cops there as ridiculous as they are here?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Omg... I just read the police report. What a complete douche.

"These words alerted me with her zipper open and he refusal to stand up and be searched she was concealing the phone under her pants."

Good job Officer Jeffery S. Griffin. You're a shining hero now that you've saved the classroom from the use of a concealed telephone. What ever would we have done if she would have brandished that phone!? The day is saved!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Mathos[/nom]You know there are times I feel the need to bash my head into a wall until I pass out.... Over having read about or seen someones stupidity. This is one of them. First thing, the police should never be needed to get involved in any school disciplinary action. Carrying a cell phone at school is not illegal, at least it wasn't the last time I checked. Some people mind find it needed in case of emergency. If someones not doing something illegal you don't call the police for gods sake. At this point I can almost guarantee that the girl was very likely black, or another non white ethnicity or else he police wouldn't of been called. So now we have a 14 year old child, that has a criminal record for sending a text to her father in class. Most likely to find out if she'd need to take the bus home or not. What needs to happen, is these teachers need to grow a spine. Or learn how to handle things ffs. The proper response would of been to ask the girl to go out and wait in the hall till she was done sending the text. Anything that was covered while doing so, well thats too bad you missed it.[/citation]

I agreed with you right until the "not white" part. Which kind of leads me to believe that you are also "not white". In which case, you probably don't realize what white people get harassed and arrested over dumb shit, too. General police idiocy doesn't have to be racial.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Fadamor[/nom]Every school I know of has rules against texting in class - for obvious reasons. We don't know the details of this situation, only what's in the redacted police report. Blaming a teacher for a student's misdeeds based on almost NO details only shows you're willing to blindly excuse the student's actions. SOMETHING happened to get the police involved. They do not enforce school rules and wouldn't be dispatched for someone violating a school rule.[/citation]

Not true. They got the campus cops involved to ask a group of my friends to stop sitting on the bridge 5 years ago. Might I also add that the "bridge" was only 2 feet high... designed to let rain water go under it.

coolkiwi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I am a serving Police officer in NSW, Australia, and would be the last person to advocate disrespect for the Police or in class.

That being said, I am appalled at this report.
Has texting at school effectively been criminalised?
Of course-Police only investigate criminal matters, not civil matters (here in Australia at least!) Isn't calling the Police over such an incident a ridiculous over-reaction? Where is the criminality in a 4 year old girl texting her father during class? At best it's a breach of school discipline, and unless she assaulted the teacher she should have been sent to the Prinicpal's office.

As for being charged with "lying to the Police"...What???
Here in Australia the Police are routinely lied to, but it's never been an offence to tell lies to the Police. The only time it's an offence to lie is in Court when under oath. If it was an offence to lie to Police then just about everyone who was ever spoken to by police here would be in jail-victims included!

I think this article just shows how little freedom Americans really have compared to similar Western democracies. You are being hoodwinked by your leaders into thinking you are the "land of the free" when in reality your freedoms are routinely being criminalised daily. That's my view anyway, and I'm certainly not a 'civil libertarian.'

coolkiwi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
As a serving Police Officer in New South Wales, Australia I am appalled at this article. As if the Police don't have enough to do without being called to investigate such trivia.

Where is the criminal offence here? Is it a criminal offence in the USA to text your father during class? Surely, at best it is a breach of the school rules, and/or a breach of discipline. This is an incident which should be investigated by the school authorities, not the Police.

As for the search, it's not as if the girl was reasonably believed to be in possession of an offensive implement (such as a knife for example) or of illegal drugs. For the Police to search a juvenile in such circumstances here in New South Wales, Australia, the Police would be exceeding their powers and liable to discipline themselves.

As for 'lying to police' being an offence...unless the girl was hindering a criminal investigation or was lying under oath in a Court of law, I don't see how that should be considered a criminal offence either. All teenage kids tell lies to people in Authority such as parents, teachers and even Police. Here in NSW it's never been an offence to lie to Police per se, and I don't see how the girl lying about having a phone on her person (which isn't a criminal offence anyway) should lead to her being arrested and charged and placed on bail!

Americans pride themselves on being "the Land of the Free."
Incidents like this one suggest that in reality Americans have less freedoms than citizens of many other Western democracies, such as Australia. Over here citizens would be outraged over this incident, but the outrage would be directed at the school and the Police for over-reacting, and the sympathy would be with the young juvenile girl. Texting her father? If she'd been texting her drug dealer I could have understood the concern, but really...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ok granted the kid was rather stupid in this situation and should NOT have been texting in class but ...

WHY DOESNT ANY ONE ELSE SEE THIS PICTURE AS WRONG !!!!!!!!

CAVITY SEARCHING A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!???????

WTF has society come to

if this was my daughter i would be wanting that whole police department's head on a stick !!!!!

and let's face it people. while lying is not good , a law against lying to a cop is just another BS law they can use to SCREW some one over when they haven't really done any thing wrong LYING ISNT a crime unless of course you are doing it to some a-hole in a pig uniform.

this is another example of how screwed up our country is peopel get away with murder all teh time , mean while the cops time as well as tax payers money is being wasted on stiupid stuff like this. Stories like this are what make me start thinking that perhaps it would be a good thing for modern society to collapse.

as it is many laws only serve a means for cops to screw with your s--t and eat your oatmeal if they want, not to mention all the alws put in palce to protect corperations that don't give a damn about thier employees or customers .

i'll agree this kid didn't need to be texting in class , and even with her disrespect towards the police IT DID NOT WARRANT HER GETTING ARRESTED AND FINED !!!!!!!!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
to the aussie

youa re 100% correct U.S. freedoms have been getting sh-tted on sicne about the 1940's. back then radio came out and some jack off heard soemthgin on it he didn't like , so teh goverment formed the FCC and ever since then things have gone down hill in every way possible law wise.

one day my fellow USers will wake up and realize this isn't the great nation our fore fathers intended it to be .. hopefully that time will come soon before any more damage is done.

G

If that little BITCH was MY kid ID leave her locked up in jail till her trial came up.Then Idlet her take punnishment.I would also make her get a job to buy me a new phone. for who wuld want to use a phone that was shoved up someones ass. not me comeon we have all heard of a blackberry but there is no way i am useing a brownberry LOL.

grifonik

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Headline had me laughing. I guess the girl could still use a keister stashed phone if bluetooth enabled? I won't even address the vibrate feature...

On a more serious note, perhaps school should just be voluntary and those that don't complete it can't vote. Fix multiple problems all at the same time!

the seal

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
YES!
In a few months I have a whole class of secretaries to train.
I am sure the class would be MUCH more educative if I can provide a good spanking when I feel the need of it!
:))

(Yeah I know, their are adults, but I am not into underage...)

Status
Not open for further replies.